Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Recent purchase Polaris 2001 Xplorer 250 4x4. Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recent purchase Polaris 2001 Xplorer 250 4x4. Help

Purchased a used 2001 Xplorer 250 for 500 bucks today, cranked right up and rode it for.about 5 minutes. Got it loaded on the trailer and home, let the wife ride it, and after about 5 minutes the front right wheel locked up. Let it.sit.for an hour, cranked it and the right front wheel was free again. The front right tire is pretty worn, so I am pretty sure this issue has been going on for a while. Thinking I am going to need a new hub and probably.cv joints. Anyone in Southern Mississippi willing to shade tree (for pay of course)on the weekends with me.to get this thing up and running would be great, if not, any online help would be greatly appreciated. She starts and runs ok.

Best,
Micah

Old 11-18-2017, 07:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Possible that it could be a caliper problem causing the lock up also. If it's a hub problem,then that's bigger deal. This cheap manual goes into good detail on hub seal sleeve replacement(if grooved and worn) armature plate and bearings.All the Xplorer 250s were the same.Only made a couple years. 2002 Polaris Xplorer Service Manual PDF Download Plus here a pretty good video on what's involved in the awd system.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Old Polaris Tech, the lug nuts were ceased, so I.sprayed them.with wd40, and am going to attempt to.get the front wheels off today, I don't think it has had any fluid changes, so I am.going to try and swing by our dealership for hub oil, and diff oil. Any how to advice on changing the tranny oil would be much appreciated. the hub oil looks pretty straight forward. Thanks again for the quick reply!

Old 11-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Drain plug is on the lower left side gear case bottom. Fill plug is on right side. Manual goes into better details than I can remember,but if it's a 9/16"(14mm) plug,fill to bottom of plug threads with AGL or equivalent chain case lube such as Amsoil.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I downloaded the manual, there is a lot of good info. Dealership apparently didn't have the fluids I needed, so I am in hold until Wednesday. Thanks again for the help. I will keep.everyone updated on the progress.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by micah.clay33
I downloaded the manual, there is a lot of good info.
That's why I keep pushing manuals.They can solve 80-90% of owners questions and problems. For anything the manuals don't address,the forum members can help you from their own experiences.