Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris trail boss 250 - no lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Polaris trail boss 250 - no lights

I'm just curious if my headlight should work while ATV is running but have a dead battery? My battery is dead (I assume) and nothing works regarding lights after I pull start it.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:20 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may have blown out the lights by running it with a dead battery.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
You may have blown out the lights by running it with a dead battery.
+1.... Have to have a good battery for the voltage from the regulator to go to.If the battery is bad or even missing,can't take the voltage, it will take the path of least resistance and blow out dash bulbs and head light bulbs.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
+1.... Have to have a good battery for the voltage from the regulator to go to.If the battery is bad or even missing,can't take the voltage, it will take the path of least resistance and blow out dash bulbs and head light bulbs.
​​​​​​I ended up throwing a new battery in and none of the electrical things worked. No lights, electric start, neautral light. Even if the bulbs blew, shouldn't my electric start work? Is there a fuse that could have gone? Fwiw, I did have the battery in whenever I rode it.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

There's a main 20 amp circuit breaker in a plastic pouch located up from the battery on the frame. If there isn't voltage on each side of the red wire leading in and out,slice the pouch open and check the circuit breaker. If it needs to be replaced,you can get these at any auto store for a few bucks.This is probably your main reason for no power to the dash lights,starter,head lights,etc.They can get moisture and corrode or just wear out over time.

Attached Thumbnails Polaris trail boss 250 - no lights-1000936wj9.jpg  
Old 12-18-2017, 08:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

There's a main 20 amp circuit breaker in a plastic pouch located up from the battery on the frame. If there isn't voltage on each side of the red wire leading in and out,slice the pouch open and check the circuit breaker. If it needs to be replaced,you can get these at any auto store for a few bucks.This is probably your main reason for no power to the dash lights,starter,head lights,etc.They can get moisture and corrode or just wear out over time.
Very helpful as usual OPT!! I will check this out. I'm assuming I have to take off the rear fender to get to it?

Old 12-18-2017, 08:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Nope. It should be visible. Just slice the pouch open,replace the breaker,seal the pouch with electrical grease or silicone and tape the pouch up. Breakers are about 6-7 bucks or so unless you want to pay 27 bucks for a new complete breaker pouch.

Attached Thumbnails Polaris trail boss 250 - no lights-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 12-18-2017, 10:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Perfect, thanks again!

Old 12-22-2017, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Still having troubles

​​​​​​
​​​​​​Ok so I charged up the old battery and only took a couple minutes until it was fully charged, so guessing battery wasn't an issue. Just split open the black pouch and the unit looked clean with no corrosion. So have a couple questions. When I check the voltage, do I need to have the ATV running or doesn't that not matter? I turned the key on and tested it but honestly I have no idea how to use this volt meter lol. It's a super complicated commercial Fluke brand. I have a little tester that I use for outlets, I slide the flat end into an outlet and it beeps if there is voltage. Could I use that?

Old 12-22-2017, 04:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Turn the meter on to dc volts. Black lead to battery negative post or good ground. Positive lead to first side of the breaker leading from the battery. Should have voltage.Same thing on opposite post.If no voltage on the other breaker post,the the breaker has faulted and needs to be replaced. IF you have voltage passing through the circuit breaker, problem could be in the left control off/on switch.Work the switch back and forth and see if you have power.Sometimes corrosion on the switch can cut power.If you have an older model,should be a terminal board on the left side of the frame under the front cab.Should have power on the red wires,the red/white wire terminals should power up with ignition key switch on.If they don't, the problem could be the left control switch is faulty and needs to be replaced. A simple test light can work also. Just hook it to a good ground or battery neg post and probe connections.

Quick Reply: Polaris trail boss 250 - no lights