Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

new to me 03 predator 500

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to me 03 predator 500

Hey guys, my names Dan, new here. bought a new to me predator 500 used recently and i am having some issues that i cannot seem to find answers to online. hopefully someone can help out here. thanks in advance.

1st issue,- crank no start (some sputtering, not alot) the bike will crank for ever, until the battery dies and I cannot get it to start. after the battery dies, iI have to hook it up to a jumper and after another try it will usually start but i have to keep on the throttle to keep it alive. Fuel splatters out of the carb from intake side, and sometimes starts flowing out of the overflow, (i had this issue before the carb overflow issue. I have taken off the valve cover to check my valves, and i was able to get a size .015 feeler gauge while at (tdc,)(exhaust) and on the intake side i was able to get a .008 feeler gauge (size .008) is the smallest I have.

my plan so far is to purchase a new carb off ebay thats an exact replacement for mine, since the previous owner has butchered it, (striped threads, screws) and fix my issue that i created with the overflow.

2nd issue- not as important, when i hit my back brakes, I temporarily get pressure and brakes (i can lock the rear tires) but then i loose pressure and the pedal falls to the floor and i have to pump the brakes to get pressure again. (No leaks, Not loosing fluid, fluid full)

thank you everyone, I am mechanically incline, i work on alot of Ford trucks, cars, honda. Id consider myself a great and honest mechanic, but this is my first time working on atvs so i am learning EVERYTHING. lol

Old 01-17-2018, 03:35 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like sucking air in the small rear master cylinder.These weren't noted for reliability. #23 on the parts break down. Most problems we had on the Predator was making sure the valves were kept in proper adjustment or these things wouldn't start. You either need to have a box of shims on hand or let a dealer set them if they're out of spec. Knock off carbs aren't always reliable either.IF any way possible I'd rebuild your existing carb. Good Shindy carb kits are out there plus you can change the bowl screws out for allen head screws.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-...FaBN0c&vxp=mtr

Attached Thumbnails new to me 03 predator 500-c8f1acbe0c3bb37b9af30ab724b63ebd5ad71527.png  
Old 01-17-2018, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my brake issue that's what I was thinking... do you recommend just replacing it?

Would you happen to know where I can find specs for my valve clearances? Max and min, allowances for them. I can't find solid info online on these bikes. It's sad.

Thank you for your help.

I may try once more at the carb, but I'm tired of messing with it. I have already used a rebuild kit on it but it's gotten worse, I just figured it would save me time and money replacing it then to have someone rebuild it again.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

This can can solve a lot of your questions and help on any repairs and service and only costs 5 bucks.. 2003 Polaris Predator 500 Service Manual PDF Download