Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

cant get off idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant get off idle

Hey guys I could really use some help!

I have an 2005 Sportsman 500 x2 EFI. It has 270 miles on it (garage Queen). Previous owner claims he never had an issue with it.

The machine starts and idles great 100% of the time. The issue is that sometimes when I let off the throttle (to idle) then try to accelerate it will not come off idle. It stumbles and does not have enough power to even begin to move. Shut it down for about 5 seconds it starts and runs fine for a few more miles, then does it again. Happens on smooth road and rough going slow.

Been to the shop. No codes and would not replicate for them.

Any ideas are welcome.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You need to be able to check pump pressure when it starts the stumbling. Should hold 39psi but may drop when the pump gets warmed up.Plus no codes doesn't mean that a t-bap or tps harness or connector isn't acting up.Not so much a sensor problem itself. Check for any bare wires at both sensors harness along with any soft feeling wires that may have melted internally. Pins can also pull back in the sensor connectors causing intermittent problems on throttle response. Not a bad idea to check the rubber grommet under the t-bap for any cracks or splits.This was another area that can cause air to suck in and lean the mixture out. This can cause the hesitation also. If you narrow it doen to a sensor harness(most common problem) otb has better repair kits than I had from Polaris. https://otbpowersports.com/products/

Old 02-12-2018, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All appears well. The machine does not hesitate. It flat out will not get above idle. It resets with a shut down and restart. Runs fine for a few miles and will act up at some point when I let the throttle back to idle. Restart and away we go. The shop says run it till it dies and won't start. Great plan if was I always with a big enough machine to tow me to the trailer.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If mine I'd let Digital Wrench get a hold of this Garage Queen. Only so much you can do at home with the manual and a meter on efi atvs that problems come and go. Could still be a tps/t-bap wiring short or even in the etc switch in the throttle housing if the adjustment is off from the 1/16"-1/8"what the manual calls for.