1999 Polaris Xplorer 400- 3wd....

Old 04-27-2018, 09:58 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's almost broke, fix it.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol there ya go. Dread having to go back in and pull out a part I just had sitting on my workbench. Random question- are you supposed to oil an o ring chain? If it is sealed what good would that do?

Old 04-28-2018, 06:17 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PolarisXP
Lol there ya go. Dread having to go back in and pull out a part I just had sitting on my workbench. Random question- are you supposed to oil an o ring chain? If it is sealed what good would that do?
NO o-ring chain is truly lifetime sealed..The main purpose of the o-ring is to "try" to seal grease between the links, cut down on metal to metal wear of the plates as an isolator versus non o-ring chains. You still have to lube the roller sides and o-ring area same as a non o-ring chain. There are newer specific lubes,waxes out for o-ring chains,but never could say they were any better than Belray,Silkolene,PJ1,Maxima or any other good quality chain lube.Just like oil brands,up to the individual user as to what they think works best for them.Cleaning is important. Kereose is still the cleaner of choice by many although it may weaken some brands of o-rings, but I haven't seen much proof of that over the years.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:35 AM
Range Rover

Ok. Haven't gotten the set yet just curious on maintenance.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:25 PM
Moto Psycho

I used Bel-Ray years ago when I had a Trailblazer. Like most "fling-free" chain lubes, some of it flung off. I don't know many people with chain drives but one guy uses some kind of waxy spray.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just like "life time lubed" anything,there's no such thing as fling free chain lube no matter the brand. Chain wax comes closest,but that stuff stinks up to 5 feet away.I couldn't stand the smell of it.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:25 PM
Moto Psycho

IIRC the stuff I used went on as a greenish colored foam then soaked in, or maybe it didn't but the foam disappeared. It may not have been Bel-Ray but I know I had a can of that.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
IIRC the stuff I used went on as a greenish colored foam then soaked in, or maybe it didn't but the foam disappeared.
That's Belray. About as good as it gets imo and foamed out slowly and soaked in. Let it dry a while before use and you wont have as much sling off. How To Apply Bel-Ray Chain Lube | Bel-Ray Company, Inc

Old 04-29-2018, 12:16 AM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
That's Belray. About as good as it gets imo and foamed out slowly and soaked in. Let it dry a while before use and you wont have as much sling off. How To Apply Bel-Ray Chain Lube | Bel-Ray Company, Inc
Good idea about giving it some time. If I sprayed it on before loading the quad on the trailer it had plenty of time before I got to the trails. I remembered having Bel-Ray but wasn't sure if I used something else too. Heck, I may have traded the Trailblazer in before finishing the first can. I can remember giving what was left to one of my friend's boys because they both have sport quads. The rest of us guys all have utes.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:33 PM
Range Rover

Got the half back today from the shop, it is welded up nice and looks good. Also received the rebuild kit today and was pleasantly surprised to find all the bearings are Japan made, and the numbers match perfectly the OEM. So I am hoping it is a
good quality kit and will last longer than the bike.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Polaris Xplorer 400- 3wd....