Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

new to me 2006 sportsman 500 efi having issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 09:57 AM
STAND FOR THE FLAG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to me 2006 sportsman 500 efi having issues

got this sportsman 500 in october of 17, added a snowplow, and after using it a couple of times, started having issues with it. The check engine light would come on, then go off a few minutes later as I was plowing, then come on again 15 minutes later and go off. Did this every time I plowed snow. Last time out the check engine light came on and has stayed on every time I turn on the key. Looked through owners manual about trouble shooting, and it says to turn key on and off 3 times in 5 seconds to find fault codes, this doesn't work. Tried holding reverse override button and turning key on this only lets me scroll through the same thing I can scroll through without holding the button in and turning key on. Now since playing with it for awhile, running engine and trying the same things, the engine turns over but will not start. I took the plug out, and it has spark, just no fire. Are these issues related to the ECM box, or are they all seperate. also are there fuses for different things on the quad? looked around when I took the plug out and didn't see any. Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails new to me 2006 sportsman 500 efi having issues-polaris-500-quad.jpg  
Old 02-11-2018, 11:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Do you hear the pump prime up when you turn the key on? Plus if you have a fuel pressure gauge,pump must hold 39 psi with just the key on,not running. Plenty of these on amazon,ebay if weak or faulty.Check engine can be for anything,hard to trace that with just the owners manual or even the service manual if no other codes are thrown with it.Digital Wrench at the dealer sometimes is the cheapest way to go to finding problems although I know most folks would like to solve this themselves.It can save a lot of time,frustration ,hair pulling. Fuse block and fuses along with relays under the front panel. Here's a cheap 5 buck service manual that can help on some things,possibly enough to keep you from having to take it to a dealer.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2006-Po...ce-Manual.html

Old 02-11-2018, 01:08 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get some ATV manuals here that may help, even if they're not the same exact model year. This page is about replacing fuses on some years of 500 EFI. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...o.html?page=89

Old 02-12-2018, 12:07 PM
STAND FOR THE FLAG

thanks for the downloads, was looking around for a fuse block that some models have, and apparently mine doesn't have one.one download said it was under the front box cover beneath the access door. Well only thing there was an electrical connection for something. and the radiator cap. I had the side panels off looking for things, moving wire looms, pushing connectors aside to see behind them, and changed the spark plug while I was there. this was last week, today, after using the snowblower on about 8in of snow. I was out by the quad looking for the fuses, and thought to turn the key just to see what would happen, I heard the fuel pump prime so I turned the key farther, the engine turned over a couple of times and fired. Not sure what happened but I'm going to live with it until it happens again, still have the check engine light on, but it's running.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Could be an intermittent problem on the pdm module located right at the front(item #11 on the break down). Bad location to begin with.This is the module that has all the circuit breakers,etc enclosed. You might pull the connectors/clean and use some electrical grease to help protect from moisture. Expensive module if it fails. This place rebuilds them for $150 if that ever happens.https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/sh...bution-module/ Wouldn't hurt to do the same with the left control switch connectors. Pull them,clean and use some electrical grease. Work the on/off switch back and fort along with the light switch,over ride button.Wouldn't hurt to spray a little electrical contact cleaner in the openings then work the switches. This could be a problem area also.

Attached Thumbnails new to me 2006 sportsman 500 efi having issues-eafd1efdfbdb17ff9bdbea32c5c59f3e03fef6cc.png   new to me 2006 sportsman 500 efi having issues-s-l640.jpg  

Last edited by old polaris tech; 02-12-2018 at 03:07 PM. Reason: left conrol switch..
Old 02-12-2018, 04:13 PM
STAND FOR THE FLAG

Thanks, didn't do anything in the front of the quad, had the seat off, and was rooting around in there. Read somewhere that there's a recall on the ECM don't know if this has been done, any way of checking?

Old 02-12-2018, 04:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If there's a recall on the efi ecm I'd check into it.. Only recalls that I remember were on the carb model ecms,but that's been a while back.https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2008/po...to-fire-hazard

Old 02-25-2018, 09:49 AM
STAND FOR THE FLAG

OPT, thanks for all the help, it' been starting everytime I've tried it since I've posted last. happy for that. I have another question. Front and rear storage compartment have a metal corregated strip called a CHANNEL-LID. What are these for, are they just tie down spots or does something hook into it? thanks.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I'd still pull electrical connectors and clean and use some dielectric grease just to keep out moisture. Could have been one of those freaky deals on an intermittent connection or dirt/corrosion on connector pins especially since that control box is right up front.Address it and all other connections. Electrical gremlins are hard to chase down at times. Channel lid is mainly for bungee cords,tie down spots for the most part. That's what everyone that came into the shop seemed to use them for.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:35 PM
STAND FOR THE FLAG

do you put the dielectric grease on the pins, or around just around the rubber to keep moisture out.

Quick Reply: new to me 2006 sportsman 500 efi having issues