Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2008 Polaris 800 Sportsman

Old 02-11-2018, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Polaris 800 Sportsman

I have been searching for a used ATV to hunt and trail ride with, in my search I have found a 2008 Polaris 800 Sportsman with 200 hours that is within my price range about 3 1/2 hours away picture looks like it is in very good condition it has a 2" lift which I am not crazy about and 27" Maxis Big horn tires with 2" wheel spacers, but has never been modified in any other way. I am going to try make the ride Tuesday to go check it out, Anything that you guys can think of that I need to check, plan on carrying my floor jack to lift it up to check wheel bearings and other suspension parts.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:19 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

As with a lot of efi machines,some had occasion wiring harness problems from the sensors,but good kits are out for those now if ever needed.Some would run a little lean,exhausts would get hot,but a simple reflash solved that. AGAIN not everyone had harness or heat problems.Good overall machines,plenty of power and torque.Have to keep an eye on the grease zerks,bushings,etc.If it's been taken care of it should last you for years.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

The 800 Sprtsman was worth the 3 hour ride ended up purchasing it for $1100 less then KBB which I thought was agood deal it is in great shape except for a few minor things, one is the glass cover on the speedo is gone. I see that Polaris offers a replacement bezel but does it include the glass or is it just the plastic ring? I hate to have to replace a perfectly functioning speedo. The only other thing is one of the uprights on the front rack extender is broke.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Bezel they sell is just the trim piece around the speedo.Lens isn't offered. Some people have made their own plastic or glass lens.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:20 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like a great deal. There used to be a glass company here that would sell you glass or mirrors of whatever size and thickness you wanted. Since they're gone my best option would be to get the smallest piece of Plexiglas a hardware store would sell me, and cut it to fit. You can probably do that just about anywhere. And if they have scraps left over from fixing windows they would probably just give you a piece. I know they have 1/8" thick sheets, but don't know if that's thin enough.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:33 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a long shot.....measures the size of lense you need. Then google replacement lenses for a flashlight in that size. Might find one close enough to work for you.(for pretty cheap)

Old 02-19-2018, 06:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Today after a short ride my right leg got extremely hot but I was wearing shorts the other day I rode 10 miles and noticed it was hot but not quite this bad but I was wearing jeans, this time all the plastic on the right side and above the muffler was untouchable yet the left side above the muffler was cool. I know this has been an issue but what was the solution. I tried to do a search on this forum and came up empty.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This model had a fair amount of exhaust shielding.https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/po...st-system-dual but you could try to double the foil around the side panel and rear cab area.https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/po...-rear-cab-seat If that doesn't solve most of the heat problem then you can have the dealer reflash the computer to richen things up a tad as running lean was one of the things I mentioned that some experienced.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is using exhaust wrap a bad idea I read somewhere that it would reduce the temp considerably?

Old 02-20-2018, 07:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Some say yea,some no as some wraps can cause moisture problems and cause premature exhaust pipe rusting.You could try a little wrap around the split exhaust under the main shield a long with some more heat film on the panel and rear cab and see if that helps. If still a problem I'd have the computer reflashed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Polaris 800 Sportsman