ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   Axle boot question (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/374888-axle-boot-question.html)

cornermike 02-11-2018 05:50 PM

Axle boot question

I got my 94 400L 4x4 all put back together after the engine rebuild and I am looking over some minor issues I need to fix. One front axle boot is torn and I have a new boot to replace it with. Just wondering how the boot will actually go on the axle if I pull the axle off the machine. The small end of the boot does not look like it would fit over the u joint side so it can slide up the axle towards the CV joint. Working on cars all my life, I guess I have never changed just the boot, I always changed out the whole axle. I have a boot strap pliers that I have used to put clamps on, but never did just a boot.

Thanks
Mike

old polaris tech 02-11-2018 06:00 PM

Gotta get the cv joint out of the strut. Loosen the tie rod and drop the arm from the strut so you can pull the strut out and flex the cv to where you can pull it out. Take a hammer and knock the cv joint off the shaft.Circlip will stay on the shaft.Remove the old boot,slide the new one on.Clean and grease the cv. Turn the cv joint on the shaft until you feel the splines line up,knock the cv joint back on with a dead blow hammer or block of wood and hammer. Check that it locks into the circlip.Pull the strut out a little,wiggle and bend the the cv joint back in. The guy in the video had too much coffee or beer,don't know which,but it can give you the basic idea. You DON'T have to remove the while drive shaft,just flex the cv out the strut..

cornermike 02-12-2018 11:35 AM

Thanks OPT,

Didn't know the CV joint came off the axle like that. I am gonna tackle it today and hopefully get the boot on without to much hassle. Hardest part looks to be getting the lower ball joint out of the a arm without messing too much up but I have a trick for that, lol.

Thanks
Mike

old polaris tech 02-12-2018 02:53 PM

I just held my breath and used an air hammer with a dull flat bit. Usually had no problems dropping the a-arm with out sucking out the ball joint.

cornermike 02-12-2018 04:15 PM

I usually loosen the nut a bit and place the head of a sledge hammer on one side of the a arm and smack the other side with a hammer. The ball joint usually pops right out.

I changed the boot out at lunch time. Not a terrible job but definitely not fun, lol. When I drove this machine before, even with the AWD button off, the right front wheel would like to engage if I spun the rear wheels on some ice. In AWD all wheels work great. I pulled the cap off of the hub to pull the axle nut but not much of the hub fluid came out. Everything inside looks good and it turns easily without any binding. The oil was like tar so I hope a good flush and new hub fluid will fix that issue.

Thanks
Mike