Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

96 Polaris Magnum 4x4 not working in Low Gear

Old 02-13-2018, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Polaris Magnum 4x4 not working in Low Gear

Hello Oracles, I have a 96 polaris 425 magnum that I can drive in 2x4 or 4x4. The 4x4 works in High Gear but not Low. It doesn't work in reverse either but that might be normal. Can you advise me on how to troubleshoot it?

Old 02-13-2018, 05:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Shifter probably not hitting the plunger(#14) in low position to engage awd. You can follow the gray/white wire from the shift box switch to the terminal board and move it to the red/white terminal section.That should allow awd in high range and also low. In reverse you have to press the over ride button so awd can kick in.

Attached Thumbnails 96 Polaris Magnum 4x4 not working in Low Gear-3a08e2b1bfd1a89db3d451f28b7b423f64cbf04a.png  
Old 02-13-2018, 07:47 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OPT is probably right as usual. Parts would wear out in those old shift boxes and cause problems. I would try using the reverse override button in low just out of curiosity before moving the wire to the other terminal.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank You Oracle Dudes, I will give it a try!

Old 02-16-2018, 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, finally got back out there. Reverse awd works fine with the overdrive and awd worked briefly in Low then stopped. Soon I noticed that there is play in the shifter and wiggling the shifter can get awd to work in Low. I have never been inside one of these shifters but is there any reason not to open it up and see if I can remove the extra play for better contact?

Old 02-16-2018, 05:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Would that be the right way to go about addressing it?

Old 02-16-2018, 05:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I used to go through them,replace the high dollar switches and any worn part,usually the plastic cup and springs. If you're getting a positive low range,that is no grinding,I wouldn't go through the trouble. Several ways to get awd. Jump the gray/white wire on the terminal board to the gray section and see if you have the awd light and awd. Some have just jumped a wire between the gray/white and gray wire straight out of the shift box.Plus here's how one guy did his:
"After running a hot wire to the gray wire going to the AWD switch, the 4 wheel drive worked. The only problem, it was in 4 wheel all the time. So I cut the wire and mounted a good toggle switch on flat area close to the AWD sticker. Run hot wire to switch and then to gray that goes to AWD switch. It now works as it should. When it is in AWD and the back wheels start to spin, the front wheels engage." The manual with it's wiring diagram can possibly make things easier also.You may find a better way that suits you. 1996 Polaris Magnum 4X4 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 02-17-2018, 01:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank You Pardner, Im grateful.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:42 PM
Just some guy from Texas.

I just went through something similar with my 94. (Though mine acted up in both High and Low.) The switch had broken inside the gear shift, and was able to move in a way it wasn't supposed to, preventing it from making contact.

In fixing this, I found a couple alternative solutions:

The switch itself (without any wires or anything) isn't available from the manufacturer (not Polaris) any longer, it's been superseded by a similar switch. The problem is finding it (or one similar) with the odd style of lever and base that Polaris used that holds it in the housing.

Here's the OEM unit: https://www.ebay.com/p/Polaris-Pure-...215/1811845750

This type of switch is actually commonly used on electric guitars. For instance:
Amazon Amazon

You'd have to wire it up yourself and double check that the circuits make the right connections in the according positions. Polaris wired it up kinda weird with and odd jumper. You may also have to add washers/spacers or a bunch of putty to make it fit, stay secure, and seal in the housing.

This switch itself has 4 wires (but 6 pins): A common power supply (red/white), and a return wire for the forward (both high and low; gray/white), neutral (green/white), and reverse (purple/white). The main power supply for the AWD switch on the handle bar comes from the gray/white wire, through the switch. The override switch connects the purple/white wire from the gear selector switch to the gray/white wire. The wires from the selector switch also power the gear position indicator lights.

You can completely bypass the gear selector switch in the AWD circuit by connecting the gray/white wire to a red/white (12V power) wire somewhere. This will leave the function of the AWD switch intact, but will bypass the override switch (for AWD in reverse, not the speed limiter) and even add AWD in neutral (though that won't really help you with anything).

NOTE: If you disconnect/remove the gear selector switch completely, you will also completely bypass the Override switch. You'll have no speed limiter.

https://ww2-secure.justanswer.com/up...ng_diagram.jpg

Old 02-25-2018, 03:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You've been doing your homework .. A 7 buck guitar switch versus a 90 buck switch with leads.Good alternative but like you I wouldn't replace the blame thing.Just bypass it.We didn't have that option at the shop (Insurance reasons) but I hated these things with a passion as some or a lot of the switches were still ok,(the later models that is,FIRST ones out were a plastic flip lever that always broke) but the rubber mounts would collapse over the years causing them to move back not allowing it to engage along with wear in the shifter also causing problems. I was so happy when I saw my first gear position switch mounted on the gear case where they should have been in the first place.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 Polaris Magnum 4x4 not working in Low Gear