Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First time post - Looking to pull the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 05:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great point Moose and the "responsible/value" guy in me says, yes. The massive hours on the 2013 also concern me and I also like the idea of EFI on the 2007.

The 2007 has "cosmetic" upgrades on it....which I am good with. I do like the really low hours on the 2007, 84 hours.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:52 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't bought a used ATV but if I did it wouldn't be one that's snorkeled. Besides the things Moose mentioned, I've seen them with holes cut through the front rack/cargo box for the snorkels, making it unusable. I guess there's no better place for them, but I need my front cargo box, and new replacements are expensive.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:48 AM
Trailblazer

All, all the previous bike owners are either scammers are have backed out on our deal and wont take my calls or messages. Oh well.

So I found 2 more, I want to run by you guys and get your opinions one: A 2007 Sportsman 500 with EFI and a 2003 Sportsman 700 Vtwin with Carb.

I had the 2007 locked down, but Ok, my saga continues with actually being able to purchase one. I got some messages from the owner of the 2007 500 EFI (85 hours) about the starter Bendix had went out. He needs to replace it. I am not sure if this just a ploy to back out of our deal or what...but I hope not. He said he wanted to make sure it was fixed right before I drove 2 hours to look at it and buy. Have to have faith that his story is legit...just a bummer as I was hoping to have it for the weekend and ride with the wife.

Here are the two details on the bikes:
  1. 2007 sportsman 500 with EFI. Clean Title. - miles: 351 - hours: 83 - has a 2in lift - spacers - brand new 28in tires - after market exhaust - heavy duty bumpers - axles are good - brakes work good - whinch with synthetic rope - clean fl title. $3300
  2. 2003 Sportsman 700 with Carb. No Title, VIN is hard to read, bill of sale included. Aftermarket exhaust, Aftermarket wheels/tires, 2" lift, spacers and he has put some money into the bike, with list of details (New upgraded ignition kit (stator, rectifier, flywheel, etc.) Part #2202602, New upgraded ignition kit (stator, rectifier, flywheel, etc.) Part #2202602 2" lift (stiff ride) Complete All ***** Racing bushing kit New Quad boss rear axles Warn winch with mounting bracket (it's wired, the winch just isn't bolted in yet) 12" ITP Wheels Gorilla Silverbacks 28x10-12 / 28x12-12 GSE exhaust but comes with factory muffler as well). $2650 He sent me videos of the bike cold starting, started up quickly.
Which one would you buy????

This has been one of the hardest things I have tried to purchase......and I have bought and sold MX bikes by the dozens! lol

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2018, 12:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate buying an atv without a title. I have bought a couple but they were older and I paid about $2000 combined for the 2 of them. One I sold to a coworker and the other one ended up being a pos that I paid $800 and only had a few months before the engine came apart. Its not so much that I would worry about it being stolen, its much harder to sell or trade in when you decide to get rid of it in the future. Dealers generally won't take them in trade because they can't sell them. I'm actually looking to buy a different atv myself currently. My Brute Force, which I've had about 2 years, needs work and its starting to smoke a little too. It did run like crap, had the carbs worked on and still runs like crap. I think it may need engine work too. I could get everything fixed but it looks like it will end up costing more than its worth. I'm kinda looking for something similar to what you are. I may go a little smaller in displacement and even slightly older, 500cc is plenty for what I do. A dealer about an hour away has several used atvs that I would consider. They have a nice 2007 Suzuki Vinson for $2999, a 2008 Suzuki King Quad 750 for $3999, and a nice 2008 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO(non efi) with about 1500 miles for $2994. I like the price of both the Vinson and Sportsman 500 but the extra power and efi of the King Quad 750 might make me spend the extra $$$ to get it. The ideal used quad I wanted before my Brute Force was a Grizzly 700 but I can't find one in decent shape for under $5000. I think I can get about $1500-$2000 for my Brute Force in its current condition. If it were in perfect shape, it would be worth around $3000 but if that were the case I would just keep it.
The dealer really close to me that I bought the Brute Force at just currently doesn't have many used units in the price range I'm willing to pay. They do have a 2008 Brute Force 750(first year of efi) with a winch for $2999 but they've had it a while. I have noticed when this is the case there its because the machine is in less than great condition. If it were in great shape, then they wouldn't have been trying to sell it for over a month. Other than that, the only used units under $4000 are all high mileage machines or smaller displacement. Though if I did want to go a little higher, they do have a nice 2015 Sportsman 570 with eps for $4499 and 1322 miles on it. Eps is something that would be nice. And its always nicer to get something newer too. That's not much more than I paid for my Brute Force 2 years ago with almost the same amount of miles on it. I think alos they're more likely to give me more for my Brute in trade too since I bought it there and they know me and want to keep me as a customer vs losing me to someone else. And say 5 years from now, the 2015 model will retain much more of its value than the others because by then they"ll be so old. It will still be newer than my current machine. Spending a little extra now for something newer will probably cost me less money in the long run. And I always hate to go older, always like trading up to something newer. Seems like you're going backwards trading to something older even if it is in better condition. Looking back reading this, I realize this was a really long post lol.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:14 PM
Moto Psycho

Just so you know, Polaris 600, 700, and 800 twins are all parallel twins, not V-twins. I wouldn't buy a 2003 anything. It's already 15 years old and parts for it will get harder and harder to find as time goes on.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:36 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you Jumbo...good points. However, this for my wife....it will never be ridden hard. The one thing I forgot to ask is that the 700 is a stiff ride, I believe he put stiffer springs on it. Could I soften up the ride with softer springs?

Old 02-23-2018, 05:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't usually get involved on comparing atvs ,but I'd go with the 500. Later model,probably easier for the wifey to handle. Plus like mentioned,no title,hard to read vin on the 700. That one I'd pass.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:33 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd stay away from the one with no title, too many stolen atvs out there. If he/she is the registered owner they could get a replacement title VERY easily. If they aren't willing to do that to sell their atv, there is a reason.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bill of sale is complete bs as well. Its not a legal document of any kind.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:36 PM
Moto Psycho

I think that if you buy it without a title, whoever does have the title can claim it's stolen and get it back, even if it's the person you bought it from.

Quick Reply: First time post - Looking to pull the trigger