Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

96 scrambler 4x4 400. Where I'm at now.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 scrambler 4x4 400. Where I'm at now.

Well I got the clutch off a couple days ago. Called the guy back who owns the machine and told him that the crank is smoked. The rod has play in it. Which is understandable since the inner crank bearing cage disappeared. The ball bearings are still accounted for but it looks like it (bearing cage)got ground up in the bearing and through scientifical magic it sublimationaly turned from a solid to a gas, and left the engine with minimal, if any, damage.this is what I found. Looks pretty bad but the bearing on the ballacer are fine. Although ill opt for a complete bearing set for this engine.
Draining out the shmoo.

Looks like the crank was rubbing against the case sides. Where could the bearing cage have gone? This thing was running when i brought it here. Although, i guess its possible someone through a top end together and passed the buck to the next guy.
The cylinder looks pretty good. A couple of light scratches, but it bloons out about .008 at the port webs so im going to send it out to get bored over .020.
There is very minimal play in the big end of the rod. When i hold the rod in one hand and tap down on it with the other it clicks. So this will get sent out aswell. New rod, rod bearing, and pin.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

The owner gave me the "go ahead", so ahead I go. Told him it wouldn't be cheap, but he wants it. I guess there's a price to pay for reliability and piece of mind, knowing you will will be able to get where your going, and also get back from where you've been.
Polaris....... The way out!
I'm going to be nice and winch the frame into my truck and pressure wash all the grime off this thing. It has been ridden hard and put away wet. I've already cleaned up the case halves. so why put a nice fresh engine in a dirt muddy machine. I used old crappy gas that has no use to run anything here, and an assortment of stiff brushes to clean the cases. It works good for cleaning grime and grease, but be weary of any ignition sources around, maybe a good idea to open up that garage door.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer

I will add though, that everything else, aside from front shocks and the 4x4 works. The trany is fine all the other bearings and seals are good, throughout the drive line. I will be frugal with the pressure washer around the seals, as to not push dirt into the bearings and what-not, and also around the electrical. We don't want more problems.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Brings back old memories.. The cylinder is where the bearing race probably ended up little by little over time. Glad you're rebuilding it right. I'd pull the counter balance and check the bearing behind it also.If it's bad there's a place on ebay that replaces them on your shaft or if you have a press you can replace it yourself. https://www.ebay.com/itm/polaris-cou...lRoB6C&vxp=mtr

Attached Thumbnails 96 scrambler 4x4 400. Where I'm at now.-s-l1600.jpg