Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP 570 battery replacement challenge

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SP 570 battery replacement challenge

Well my title of this post is being real real kind, lol..lol..As you know I love Polaris machines but whoever engineered the new battery location design should be fired! What was wrong with it being conveniently located under the seat?

Sorry for my rant but heres some tips I learned. From right side disconnect rubber bungie cord fastner. Then pop off top black protective cover.

A Youtube video showed removing the battery metal compartment flange to remove battery. Not necessary at least on 2016 model. Must remove white Antifreeze-Coolent reserviour (left side ) to get the reach to negative batter terminal cable first before removing postice battery terminal cable and pop off the left side panel above left foot well.

Its a real pain literally, back wrenching, knuckle busting just to loosen the terminal screws. I recommend shorter phillips head screw driver Vs. Socket, its just too tedious. Its tricky maneuvering the battery out and new end. I had to in a clunky twisted back position funnel my hands between tire and footwell and left cover panel opening thru the EBS snorkel hole lifting heaving battery with fingerctips. Its a fanagle task to say the Least and then... New battery OEM YUSA had those stupid square nuts you have to insert in terminal whole allrhe while trying to get the screw thru it as it slides and falls out.

Total replacement/install time = 2 hours. Longer than that considering right tools for the job and figuring out. I suppose having a lift table and left wheel off may have made things smoother.

Disappointed in this new battery location design, SMH. Should not be that difficult and frustrating!

Heres some pics of my fun night, lol..lol

R'

Old 02-22-2018, 11:01 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds like a real pain in the butt. With my arthritis I don't think I could do it.

P.S. I hate those stupid little battery nuts. Changing batteries would be so much easier without them.

P.P.S. When I saw the name of the thread I thought it should be a YouTube challenge. "Are you man enough to take the SP 570 battery replacement challenge?"

Old 02-23-2018, 04:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

About as bad or worse to access than the previous models that had the battery stuck down in the front.Don't miss this part one bit.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:37 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Maybe the thought process from Polaris Mfg. was you only should have to replace a battery so many years BUT man I tell ya no maintenance should be that frustrating. Next time its going to the dealer, ill pau to have that done, lol.lol

R'

Old 02-23-2018, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Yep, it was even worse with the 2006 Polaris Sportsman X2 I had. It was tucked into the middle of the frame inboard of the right front tire. I learned an important lesson that day. Don't wear your wedding ring when removing a positive battery wire. I hit the engine block with one side of my ring and the terminal with the other...... Ow.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not something that looks like fun, I questioned the location of that battery the first time I saw it. They should all be under the seat, seems like the best place. Grizzly and Brute Force do that and they're easy to get to. I had a Scrambler 500 and its location under the rear fender was easy to get to. Its funny I'm now considering getting a Sportsman 570 myself. I guess this will be something I'll be doing in the future if I get one. I'd hate to pay someone to put in a battery but this is one case where I might consider it.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Most of the Polaris models were under the seat or below the rear fender,just the x2 and the 570 down front. There maybe more models than that now,haven't kept up on battery location,but do agree that it was a stupid idea in the first place.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:25 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well.....hmmmm....ok.....damn that sucks!

Old 02-23-2018, 11:22 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd rather have my battery under a rear fender covered with mud than have to put up with that crap.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I'd rather have my battery under a rear fender covered with mud than have to put up with that crap.
Agreed.

Polaris needs to put them under the seat, better location.

Quick Reply: SP 570 battery replacement challenge