Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2013 Sportsman 550 Wrench Thread - First time

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Sportsman 550 Wrench Thread - First time

Hey all!

Well, I just purchased my first ATV, a 2013 Sportsman 550 with EFI (No EPS). So, as I do with all my MX bikes (my speciality) I always change the oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plug, 100% of the time. I consider this an insurance plan for the longevity of the bike. So, I am looking to do the following my new sportsman:
  1. Change Air Filter (Going Polaris)
  2. Change Oil Filter
  3. Change Oil
  4. Replace Spark Plug
However, when I got the bike home, I noticed a few things that I am going to fix asap (I am very meticulous). I noticed the headlamp assembly was loose, it moved around the handlebars. After I disassembled the headlamp unit, I noticed that the 2 lower plastic tabs that screw to the handlebar area were broken, thus the shaking. Order a new lower headlamp assembly. However, when I opened it up, I noticed the 2 tubes. Are they suppose to be there and are they suppose to be connected?

Thanks and much more to come. Fluids change tomorrow!

Old 02-27-2018, 04:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Hopefully you have the owners manual which is good for service,but notorious for saying "See your authorized dealer for any repair" Service manuals out there that are reasonable(still too late a model for the cheap manuals) but something you need if you plan on doing all your repairs. Here's one to consider if you don't have one.https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....service-repair Plus possibly someone can share one or know of a free pdf copy floating around. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:56 PM
Trailblazer

I did find an owners manual but that only takes me so far. Have any idea on the hoses in the pic?

Also, if ANYONE has a pdf or electronic service manual for a 2013 Sportsman 550, please let me know. I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check valve on one and a plain open tube on the other. That's the way it's supposed to be. Follow the hoses down and you'll see that one probably comes from the front diff and the other from the fuel tank.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:44 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks! you are correct. One does go to the front Diff. I will try to trace the 2nd one, but I am fairly confident you are correct.

Quick question the Oil Change procedure. According to the owner's manual, it looks very straight forward.
  1. Start engine, let idle for 2-3 minutes to warm up
  2. Remove drain bolt (bottom side of engine, next to the oil filter), let oil drain, replace bolt.
  3. Remove oil filter
  4. Install new oil filter
  5. Remove dipstick, fill with 2 quarts of oil (I see a bunch of comments about using full synthetic. Is that necessary? I have a bunch of regular 10w-40 I would like to use, I am in Florida, so the temps remain pretty warm)
Am I missing anything? Is there transmission fluid that should also be replaced when you change the oil? What about Diff oil? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I get it right.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Use FULL synthetic engine oil only!! Owners manual show the fill and drain plugs on the gear case. Polaris Agl or equivalent such as Amsoil.https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...-and-gear-oil/ Front diff Polaris Demand Drive Plus or equivalent from Amsoil or other suitable suppliers. Here's Polaris basic lube chart.
https://cdn1.polaris.com/globalasset...pdf?v=4456eea6

Old 02-28-2018, 08:24 AM
Trailblazer

Ok, So I will NOT use the standard 10w-40 I have. I will go buy some full synthetic Xw-40. 5W?

Also, I am confused on the drain plug comment...below is the oil change procedures for the 2013, pulled from the owner's manual. Thoughts?

Old 02-28-2018, 08:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Metric allen drain plug at the bottom of the engine. 8mm if I remember correctly.Don't loose the washer! Oil filter was a bitch on the early 550/850,don't know if it's changed. Kinda hard to get to through the bash plate as they barely had enough room for a filter tool other than the one Polaris had. Hopefully that's changed. Video on a later model 850. Looks like they did enlarge the oil filter opening. Should be the same on the 550.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:04 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks! I did buy the filter cap/socket to hopefully make it easier. Are there any replacement options for the AGL, Angled Drive and Demand Drive fluids I could source locally ( Walmart, Autozone, Advanced, Napa)? I already have the filter.

Regarding oil, I want to flush ALL fluids (Engine, Front Diff, Trans and Rear DIff) at the same time. Going to go with Polaris PS-4 for the Engine. What are your thoughts on this item for the full transmission change:

Full KIT Full KIT

Old 02-28-2018, 09:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sure saves a lot of shopping around. There are cheaper alternatives out there for filters,oil,etc,but convenience matters to some people also.

Quick Reply: 2013 Sportsman 550 Wrench Thread - First time