Loosing power when fan comes on polaris 400 !HELP! - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community



Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-10-2018, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 15
Default Loosing power when fan comes on polaris 400 !HELP!

New here having problems and can't figure it out. Recently rebuilt motor and put on new frame. The motor is out of my 96 Polaris sport 400l that I put on a 98 sport 400 frame. Runs good until the fan kicks on then it starts missing and running like crap. Try to give it throttle and it just bogs and will backfire like it's loosing power turning the fan on . My father n law is thinking it's a problem with the charging system. Maybe the stator. I was wondering if not having a battery in it would affect it. He thinks that everything should work without the battery that's why it has the stator but im thinking if it had a good battery in it when the fan came on it would run fine. Any help would be appreciated before I have to change out the stator.

Last edited by Neil915; 03-10-2018 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-10-2018, 08:10 PM
jumbofrank's Avatar
Moto Psycho
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,634
Default

If it was mine I'd just put a new battery in and see if it still does it. I think you need one to run the fan and lights.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-10-2018, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 15
Default

That kinda what I was thinking but the lights work without the battery. Brighten and dim depending on how much throttle but they're on. But when fan comes on light dims and atv wants to die.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-10-2018, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbofrank View Post
If it was mine I'd just put a new battery in and see if it still does it. I think you need one to run the fan and lights.
I'm stuck between buying a battery or changing stator
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-10-2018, 08:17 PM
old polaris tech's Avatar
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Texas
Posts: 24,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil915 View Post
New here having problems and can't figure it out. Recently rebuilt motor and put on new frame. The motor is out of my 96 Polaris sport 400l that I put on a 98 sport 400 frame. Runs good until the fan kicks on then it starts missing and running like crap. Try to give it throttle and it just bogs and will backfire like it's loosing power turning the fan on . My father n law is thinking it's a problem with the charging system. Maybe the stator. I was wondering if not having a battery in it would affect it. He thinks that everything should work without the battery that's why it has the stator but im thinking if it had a good battery in it when the fan came on it would run fine. Any help would be appreciated before I have to change out the stator.
First off load test the battery as that may be where part of the problem lies. The ignition isn't dependent on the battery(magneto triggered),but the fan,lights,etc has to have one for them to work along with a good regulator rectifier. Check that it's charging 14 volts or so a little above an idle.If it's not or just showing battery voltage, the regulator could be faulty and they have been know to screw up a cdi. Cdi provides spark to the coil plus controls ignition advances.Faulty regulator could be interfering with it. Plus pull the black wire from the reverse limiter module. This was one of the most common modules to fail and it could limit in forward not just reverse if it fails.Usually located next to the regulator(#32). Plus might not be bad idea to bleed the screw on the top of the head to remove any trapped air pockets.This can cause an engine to over heat real quick whether the fan kicks on or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Loosing power when fan comes on polaris 400 !HELP!-022d15ef09c0d450bc14ff470d739055b372a892.png  
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-10-2018, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old polaris tech View Post
First off load test the battery as that may be where part of the problem lies. The ignition isn't dependent on the battery(magneto triggered),but the fan,lights,etc has to have one for them to work along with a good regulator rectifier. Check that it's charging 14 volts or so a little above an idle.If it's not or just showing battery voltage, the regulator could be faulty and they have been know to screw up a cdi. Cdi provides spark to the coil plus controls ignition advances.Faulty regulator could be interfering with it. Plus pull the black wire from the reverse limiter module. This was one of the most common modules to fail and it could limit in forward not just reverse if it fails.Usually located next to the regulator(#32). Plus might not be bad idea to bleed the screw on the top of the head to remove any trapped air pockets.This can cause an engine to over heat real quick whether the fan kicks on or not.
alright thank you for all the info. Looks like I'll head out in the morning get a battery and try it out first and go from there since I don't have a good battery around here. Wish this damn headache would be done already 🙃
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-10-2018, 08:30 PM
old polaris tech's Avatar
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Texas
Posts: 24,361
Default

By all means has to have that battery if you've been running without one..Make sure after installation that at an idle or above it's charging properly.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-10-2018, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old polaris tech View Post
By all means has to have that battery if you've been running without one..Make sure after installation that at an idle or above it's charging properly.
alright. Again thank you for the info. Think I'm having trouble figuring it out cause before the rebuild when I had the 96 motor on original frame it didn't have a battery. The way I bought was no battery and no lights worked the fan didn't work or nothing. Strictly motor ran and that was it. Nothing electrical but it ran good. Makes sense now that I think of it didn't need a battery to run stuff cause nothing worked 🤣
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-10-2018, 08:46 PM
old polaris tech's Avatar
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Texas
Posts: 24,361
Default

You're not the only one that has been confused by this over the years. The only good part about this older magneto triggered ignition is that you could at least start it with the recoil starter if the battery was dead or damaged somehow. That could possibly get you back to camp,etc before it over heated,blew out the bulbs,etc.. On the later model dci ignition systems if the battery goes dead or damaged you're stuck right where you are until you get a replacement.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-10-2018, 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old polaris tech View Post
You're not the only one that has been confused by this over the years. The only good part about this older magneto triggered ignition is that you could at least start it with the recoil starter if the battery was dead or damaged somehow. That could possibly get you back to camp,etc before it over heated,blew out the bulbs,etc.. On the later model dci ignition systems if the battery goes dead or damaged you're stuck right where you are until you get a replacement.
Right on. I should've got on here a long time ago. Ask the experts haha. I know where to go now!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big Bear 400, loosing power, HELP!!! Big Guy Yamaha 0 06-10-2007 11:43 AM
400 Sport sputtering and loosing power?!?!!? HondaSlayer Polaris 6 05-24-2006 06:57 PM
trial boss 330 oil cooler fan comes on by itself 010503 Polaris 4 05-23-2006 09:44 PM
2004.5 Sportsman 400 - backfiring, loosing power Back40 Polaris 8 07-26-2004 09:16 PM
FAN ONLY COMES ON AFTER LONG TIME OF RIDING!!! TRX350dude Honda 5 01-09-2002 08:47 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: