Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 efi ho charging problems

Old 03-19-2018, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 efi ho charging problems

Hello all, I’ve recently bought a sportsman fourwheeler and the battery wont stay charged if left hooked up for more than 2 or 3 days. And the battery light and speedo needle flash almost every time it’s ridden. Sometimes I can smash the front brakes and it makes the light go off for the rest of the time I’m on it. But last night that didn’t work. Also after being ridden for a few mins and it’s up to temp if I come to a stop and just let it idle it does a weird stumbling thing and tries to stall out. Long story short I don’t know why it wants to stumble and die after riding and letting it idle, because it Runs great and has all it power. And why the battery discharged on its own and why the battery doesn’t charge like it’s supposed to.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:38 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like another pdm module.Load test the battery to see if it needs to be replaced. If it's not charging 14 volts at the battery while at an idle usuaully the module. Expensive module that handles charging,fan operation and several other functions. Efi system has to have a fully charged battery for components to work correctly or it will stumble around if voltage drops. Module is at the front of the atv. Over 400 bucks new but this place rebuilds them for 150 bucks.https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/sh...bution-module/ Item #11 on the parts break down.

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 efi ho charging problems-7e0fd9bb96f3d63375bdb302d47acba3cee48701.png  
Old 03-20-2018, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you, apologies for the delayed reply. It will take me a week or so to be able to get my PDM out and shipped out for the rebuild. In the mean time I will have my battery load tested. I suspect it should pass easily because it’s only a year or so old from what the previous owner told me. But you can never be sure until you check it for yourself I suppose. ALSO changing or removing the PDM should not call for a dealer to reprogram it to the ATV, like an ECM. Should it?

Old 03-20-2018, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No dealer programming , plug it in and go .

Old 03-21-2018, 08:19 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Hunter Atkinson
In the mean time I will have my battery load tested. I suspect it should pass easily because it’s only a year or so old from what the previous owner told me. But you can never be sure until you check it for yourself I suppose.
Batteries can die at any time or be bad straight out of the box.You can load test it yourself at home with a meter also. Charge battery over night,pull the spark plug cap.You're not looking for it to start.Check battery voltage on the meter while under a load when cranking the engine over. Voltage shouldn't drop past 9.5 volts. Look at this article on batteries as it explains a little more.https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/ho...ry-is-bad.html

Old 03-21-2018, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Batteries can die at any time or be bad straight out of the box.You can load test it yourself at home with a meter also. Charge battery over night,pull the spark plug cap.You're not looking for it to start.Check battery voltage on the meter while under a load when cranking the engine over. Voltage shouldn't drop past 9.5 volts. Look at this article on batteries as it explains a little more.https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/ho...ry-is-bad.html
I went out this morning and tinkered with it a bit. I put the battery on the charger and leaf blowed my yard for about an hour an half. Then back to the wheeler, I checked batt voltage with key off and I had 12.6. I started the fourwheeler up and let it idle for a bit and checked the voltage at the battery while it was running and I had 11.3 or something around there. I revved the engine up to 4500-5500 rpm and the voltage never went above 12.4. Let it idle back down, and back to 11’s again. So before I came to work I put the battery charger on reconditioning mode and it will be charging all night until I get off work. I’ll do the load test you mentioned when I get up tomorrow morning. Thank you all for the help.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

12.6-12.8 is fully charged. It'll drain down when it's not getting back more voltage than what's being sucked out of it. 11.3 volts running,not good.Should be around 14+ volts. Rare cases a stator could be involved,but I changed out too may of those expensive pdm modules on the 2006 and 2007 efi models.I think I'd get in contact with the site I posted that rebuilds them for 1/3 the price of a new one.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah I knew it wasn’t good that low while running. You reckon it’s the PDM and not the stator? It seems more like he module to me but I’d hate to rip the wheeler apart and send it out and spend my money and it be something else.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check between the yellows coming from the stator to the pdm. Resistance shows around 0.43 ohms or so between each other with no yellow shorting to ground. Ac test between the yellows at or above 2000 rpm should show between 30-40 vac.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Check between the yellows coming from the stator to the pdm. Resistance shows around 0.43 ohms or so between each other with no yellow shorting to ground. Ac test between the yellows at or above 2000 rpm should show between 30-40 vac.
Alright, I’m an electrical novice but I should be able to figure it out. I’ll get back with y’all when I’m able to test it.