Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Sportsman 500 Air filter - K&N ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good by k&n

in the process of rebuilding my 570 rzr. no more k&n for me. only 1400 miles on 2017.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

I bought a GSE reuseable air filter a couple of years ago, got tired of washing it. Add the cost of the kits, paper with a pre filter is cheaper.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Creek.Jumper
Hi, I have had my air filter since I bought this bike used, (about 1.5 years ago) and need to change it. I have been reading a little about K & N filters, and some say they are not great in dusty conditions, unless you use the screen. Does anyone have experience with them on this bike?

Are there any other advantages/disadvantages to them?
I run them in all my vehicles and wheelers. Clean them good let air dry oil em up good and my trick to luck I think is don't be chinsy and save yourself some time and hassle buy a prefilter sock. Even if I didn't run K&N filter everyone should at least buy a prefilter sock that slips over cartridge filter. My vehicles you open up air box if you don't have the filter sock all the ribs fill full of debris and clog up same w wheeler. With the sock it usually don't even stick to it and will fall to bottom of air box. So personally think with the combination of the two there's nothing I've seen that's better.
​​​​​

Old 04-25-2018, 05:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a k&n on my truck for a short time. Right out of the box, it soaked my MAF in oil. Then, I started getting a random misfire when it snowed. Found out it was sucking snow right through it. Now, if it was letting snow through, how much dirt/dust was it letting through. Straight in the garbage, and I'll never fall for their gimmicks again.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:15 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I remember the time I took my truck (still under warranty) to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. They check everything. Was the 3rd or 4th oil change for the truck, so it was all good.

Except when they checked the air filter, they forgot to put it back in. Before this, I never thought to see if they put stuff back. Anyway, we're on the freeway doing about 80mph when it clogged the maf sensor enough to shut the motor down.

Luckily, were in a town where we knew a shop owner. Checked it all out and cleaned the sensor. And put a new filter in. Got back home and bought a k&n filter for it. 9 years later, it still runs and hasn't shut down from the dirt it may let by.

So, first hand experience tells me paper is good, k&n is good. No filter, not so good.

Now I had one in one of my quads. With the sock. Was by no means a performance quad at all, so power wise it really made no difference. It may have let some dirt through, but trees and being upside down did more damage that that did.

This is one of those things that I say use what makes you comfortable.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:45 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"No filter, not so good." ". . . trees and being upside down did more damage that that did." Did you ever say I've fallen and I can't get up?

Attached Thumbnails 2006 Sportsman 500 Air filter - K&N ?-oops.jpg