Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

96 scrambler 400 carb question.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 scrambler 400 carb question.

what is the stock needle position, from experience i always thought it was the middle on the main jet needle, but this one was at the very top. don't want to lean out the fresh rebuild. there have been a few hands in this bike before i got it here. the last thing i want to do is let this guy have it and blow it up his first ride. i have the manual but since my laptop burnt up (literally) my old pos computer just cant handle pfd, (dell pentium 4) and takes for ever to scroll anywhere.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:27 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having a slow computer sucks. Instead of scrolling to get to the right page of a pdf, sometimes I look at the index at the front of the document to see what page I need. Then next to the buttons to change pages, in the box that says what page you're on, I just put in the page number I want and click enter. It goes right to that page.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyeballsdeep
what is the stock needle position, from experience i always thought it was the middle on the main jet needle, but this one was at the very top. don't want to lean out the fresh rebuild. there have been a few hands in this bike before i got it here. the last thing i want to do is let this guy have it and blow it up his first ride. i have the manual but since my laptop burnt up (literally) my old pos computer just cant handle pfd, (dell pentium 4) and takes for ever to scroll anywhere.
2nd position from top is what I've found the most from the stock carbs. If there is a slight hesitation,drop the clip to the 3rd(middle position) to richen it up.If you have to have the needle clip at the top you may be running a slightly larger main jet than needed. Plug chopping is what determines whether jetting is close or not.After the engine is warmed up,get up to speed and kill the engine. Stop asap and when cooled down a little pull the plug and check the color. Should be a tan to medium brown in color. If the electrode is whitish in color,jetting is too lean.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:52 AM
Trailblazer

Alright ill do that, looking into getting a new comp as well. Still waiting for the front struts. They were supposed to be here today, but with the ice storm and all the snow we got, (12") fed ex is a little slow. At least i got to go for a rip on the sled one last time. i summarized it already but I couldn't resist. I had to get out there.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:56 AM
Trailblazer
Old 04-17-2018, 02:18 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

12 inches! If I had a snowmobile I'd hit the trails. We had had snow and ice for 4 days straight, maybe 5, I lost count. I never cleaned up any of it the whole time. Today I finally had to clean off my windshield so I could go somewhere. After all those days of snow and ice there was some at the bottom of the windshield and part of the hood. Whenever it starts to melt a bunch slides off the top of the cab and collects there.

I tried to sweep the snow off with a push broom but it was frozen solid. Since that didn't work I used the broom to smash the frozen snow on both sides of the windshield wipers and sweep it off. The good news is my lilies are twice as tall as they were a week ago. I forgot to check on my tulips, but had one big bud the last time I looked. It's about ready to bloom when it warms up.