Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 twin EFI died

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 08:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 twin EFI died

Hi All –

I have read through a bunch of the threads and am now more familiar with troubleshooting this problem, but let me fill you in.

2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 twin EFI - with maybe 1250 miles. Stored outside in Maine under tarp in winter.

Gas was very low, filled tank from gas can that had high test with ethanol, maybe 6 months old. (We now have a place to get non ethanol gas).

ATV started and ran fine. Drove into the woods where I'm clearing some trees and got to the end of the path. Had to do a very hard steering turn to turn the atv around on the path since I hadn't cleared a large turn around area yet. I started back up the hill and parked the atv on the hill. The front end was a foot higher than the rear. Thought I would skid the log out but it was stuck.

ATV probably sat not running on the slope for 30-60 minutes. Finally I decided to just drive the atv out, started it and it ran for about 50 feet but very low power and then stalled. Very low idle and would die. Then not firing at all. I f I let it sit and then try, I sometimes get a second or two of firing.

I have siphoned out all of the old gas and put in one gallon of non ethanol high test with Seafoam,
1. The engine will turn over fine.
2. When you initially try to start it, you can hear an occasional fire, but not enough to really start.
3. Check engine is on when I turn the key to the on position, but goes out after I try to start the atv.

So now the troubleshooting begins.
1. I read in a thread to turn the ignition switch 3 times on and off leaving on the third time and if there are codes, they should show. Is this correct?
2. Bought 2 new spark plugs just in case. Searched youtube on how to replace them on this twin. Doable but the left one looks a bit harder to get out.
3. I had ignition issues a few years back so I'm well aware of broken wires. I have yet to look for any.

Since it turns over and attempts to start, I'm thinking that it's still some bad fuel or the water in the tank and since I parked on the hill the water was at the bottom of the tank.

So my plan now is to:
1. Check for codes
2. Try to start and then pull plugs, see if they are well or have fuel on them.
3. See if they spark.

What else or what is a better way to proceed with this process? Is there a better way to total drain the tank from below rather than siphoning?

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well when I got home last night I took a stroll down into the woods and tried checking for codes using the turn the key 3 times approach.

No Codes - So that appears to be good.

Tried to start again and it does fire a little, but then stalls out. I'm thinking that there is still some water in the gas tank or lines.

Probably better to drain the gas tank where the hose goes from the tank to the fuel pump?

Anybody have a link where I can download a service manual would be appreciated.

Thanks

BTW - I will change the plugs even if it's just the fuel. For that matter, I should probably to a complete oil change, grease fittings, etc.