Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1996 425 polaris magnum

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 08:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 425 polaris magnum

I have a 1996 425 polaris magnum that will hit like it' going to start but wont. I'e got good fire. I put a stator, cdi box, coil, regulator and new carb on it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I' trying to get it running for my son to ride with me. Thanks for any advice...

Old 06-11-2018, 04:50 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so it will start and then stall? did you try putting a little gas down the cylinder to see if it would run at all?

Old 06-17-2018, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by stendori
so it will start and then stall? did you try putting a little gas down the cylinder to see if it would run at all?
Originally Posted by HunterJ
I have a 1996 425 polaris magnum that will hit like it' going to start but wont. I'e got good fire. I put a stator, cdi box, coil, regulator and new carb on it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I' trying to get it running for my son to ride with me. Thanks for any advice...
I finally got back to work on this bike. I got it running but it spits and sputters with the black cdi wire unplugged. If I plug it up the motor dies. It acts like it's flooding. I checked the valves and they were at 0.006. The compression is good. I did notice that when running third throttle it sounds good but the exhaust starts to turn red close to motor. When you let off throtten it dies and is hard to start. Does anybody have any ideas about this rig. I'm just trying to get it running for my son to ride. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:52 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's getting that hot, it must be running lean. Check the color of your spark plug before your piston seizes or gets a hole burnt through it.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 96 425 polaris

Idles good then dies after you hit throttle. It sputters and back fires giving it fuel. I took breather off back of carb and it runs good but it also sprays a mist of gas out the back of carb. Seems like the exhaust is getting hotter than usual. I've put a new carb cdi box regulator coil and stator on it. It had been sitting for a few years before I got it. Would the exhaust lobe cause all these problems. I cat think of any thing else I can do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Old 06-23-2018, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 96 425 polaris

Idles good then dies after you hit throttle. It sputters and back fires giving it fuel. I took breather off back of carb and it runs good but it also sprays a mist of gas out the back of carb. Seems like the exhaust is getting hotter than usual. I've put a new carb cdi box regulator coil and stator on it. It had been sitting for a few years before I got it. Would the exhaust lobe cause all these problems. I cat think of any thing else I can do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Old 07-23-2018, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the same four wheeler. It was doing something similar. I messed with all kinds of things before taking it to the shop. They rebuilt the carb and told me it runs great so when I went to pick it up, I test drove it first. It had no guts and got extremely hot. I told them what was happening so they brought it back in and said it needed a new cam shaft and that the exhaust lobe was worn way down and not opening the valve, hence the extreme heat. $700 later, this solved the over heating issue. I messed with the carb a little and now it runs great, starts easy and doesn't over heat. I was told that some of these machines had a cam shaft that wasn't hardened properly and was prone to premature wear. Mine only had 1400 miles at the time of the repair. Mine was almost completely worn down to nothing, I'm surprised it ran at all. You might look into that. I coulda done the work but they are a pain to work on so I just paid the $700. The cam itself is about $325. Hope this helps!