Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Model ID Help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 11:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model ID Help?

So I was gifted this Polaris quad recently by my father. He says it's a 96 or 97 scrambler, but the headlight doesn't fit with the images I see of the scramblers. I'm trying to figure out what it is so that I can make sure I'm getting the right parts as I do some work and upgrades. Any ideas? Doesn't seem to have any decals anymore, other than the 4x4, concentric drive, and Polaris.I am thinking it may be either a trail blazer or 400 sport, as it has the 400cc 2 stroke. It has the push button 4 wheel drive on the right grip, with override button on the left side, and H N R on the shifter. Right now I'm needing to get a new thermostat switch for the radiator fan, (runs full time at the moment), new rear tires, and look into getting the cylinder sleeved. She seems to have some piston slap going and has already been bored out to the max. Also looking into the charging system, doesn't seem to be generating any power and has to be left on a battery maintainer between rides. Anyway, are the frames the same between models? Wanting to put at least a rear rack on to carry chainsaws and fluids for cutting firewood, and a hitch for utility trailers, so if I could get a rack from say a trail boss, would it fit with minor modifications? Looking for any and all advice here, and it's all appreciated. Love riding the thing, sure screams when you get on it!

I was recently gifted this Polaris ATV, it has no distinguishing marks to indicate the model. I was told it was a scrambler, but judging by all the info/pictures I've seen, it can't be. It is the 400 2 stroke, 4 wheel drive. Anybody know if this is the 400l or trail blazer? I am trying to figure it out so that I can ensure I order the right parts as I upgrade and perform minor repairs!

Last edited by scootergptx; 09-14-2018 at 06:25 AM. Reason: duplicates
Old 09-05-2018, 04:22 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it looks like an older scrambler for sure(but with a trailblazer headlight) not sure of the year. electric is most likely the rectifier is bad if not then the stator it self.you might be able to take the ser# off the frame to a dealer to have them look it up for you.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:00 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

That's a Scrambler. If you can get the vin# off the frame, the 10th digit will tell you the year model. From there, you should be able to get the parts you need.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:14 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

well this is screwed up as I did respond to this post as well????????

Old 09-13-2018, 05:09 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has the same single headlight as a Trailblazer instead of the standard Scrambler dual lights on the handlebars. I think they made a Scrambler like that when they started changing the names on the 400 around from Scrambler to Sport to Trailblazer, or whatever. The 10th digit of the VIN will give you the year and we can figure it out from there. The '99 400 Sport looked exactly like that except the colors were reversed. If it's 4WD it's a Scrambler. I can't see it well enough to say. AFAIK red bodies are always Scramblers.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:20 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

That and the radiator. Trailblazers were air cooled.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:22 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Originally Posted by stendori
well this is screwed up as I did respond to this post as well????????
Even weirder. I replied to this yesterday and it wasn't here this morning.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Ok, I merged the two threads on this into one. I apologize if I didn't get all the replies to transfer, but I think I did. Not a computer expert so this isn't my forte.

Hopefully having the question and all the answers in one place will get the info to Jeff quicker and easier.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:01 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scootergptx
That and the radiator. Trailblazers were air cooled.
There was a liquid cooled Trailblazer 400. Maybe only for a year or 2, but there was one.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:47 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

Originally Posted by Big Frank
There was a liquid cooled Trailblazer 400. Maybe only for a year or 2, but there was one.
you are correct as there was a liq. 400 TB a long time ago.

Quick Reply: Model ID Help?