Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Kid’s quad vs Ace 150

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 01:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kid’s quad vs Ace 150

Hi everyone, Santa is bringing my son (9 yr) a toy to ride on our land in East TX. I’ve been looking at the youth quads (all big brands) for weeks now.

Yesterday, I walk into a Polaris dealer and see the Ace 150 for the first time. Looks like so much fun! Advantages over a standard quad include having at least some cage around him, the ability to haul a bit more “stuff”, and a wider stance. Not sure that these are all necessarily valid but my perception. Disadvantage is of course more $$$, but that’s not a deal-breaker if it’s the best choice.

Would you consider the Ace 150 vs. a quad for a kid his age or not, and please give your reasons. As a point of reference, our property (about 80 acres) is largely flat. Have a couple fields cleared somewhat, but the majority is uncharted woods that we’ll be working to establish paths, etc. Point being that a machine won’t have to climb big hills. Pretty much it’ll be to get around the off-road and have some fun!

Thanks in advance. -Bill

Old 11-29-2018, 07:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill, I would definitely buy an Ace 150 for a 9 year old. My two sons came up through the ranks of dirt bikes and ATVs the normal way, starting with a 50cc dirt bike, then 60cc, then 85cc, then a Honda 250 EX ATV for one son, and a Raptor 250 for the other son, then on to bigger more powerful dirt bikes and ATVs. But a small Ace would have been a good starting machine as well. I say that because we have owned an Ace 570 and an Ace 900 SP, and my youngest son loved them both. The oldest son was on to winning his class (open class) in local desert races on a dirt bike by that time. I got to ride both of our Ace's quite a bit, and I liked them. They work best in slow technical terrain. Visibility and maneuverability are great, and they feel like a mini Jeep. Your son would love it.

This summer my youngest son traded his Ace 900 SP for a Textron Wildcat Trail, and I bought a Rzr RS1, so we still have a single seater in the family, but on a bigger scale.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:50 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Besides having a cage, the Ace has a lower center of gravity so it would be harder to roll over on its side. You shouldn't have to worry about that on flat land but it still seems safer to me.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both! I was kinda hoping to get that kind of feedback. Definitely is the front runner at this point.