Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Sportsman 400 2 stroke

Old 01-04-2019, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Sportsman 400 2 stroke

Iíve had this ATV for a few years and keep it at a hunting camp. It gets ridden every few months and fuel is always drained before it sits. Recently it would not crank. I poured fuel in the tank and it came out of the nipple on the bottom of the carburetor. I figured the float was stuck, so I removed/disassembled/cleaned the carburetor(which wasnít gummed up at all) and reinstalled. I no longer leak fuel, but now it will not draw fuel into the engine. I checked compression and got 165psi. I removed the carburetor again, exposung the reed valves and pulled the cord, noticing oil coming in from the injection pump. I sprayed a squirt of carb spray on the reed valves, pulled the cord and it popped of for moment. I reinstalled the carburetor and still couldnít get it to draw fuel. I removed the section of exhaust pipe closest to the head and black oil cane pouring out. I figure all of the oil came from when I pulled the cord so many times during testing. Any ideas why this thing wonít draw fuel from the carburetor? Thanks!

Old 01-06-2019, 06:29 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the fuel pump working, getting vacuum letting fuel through.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response, however, this unit doesnít have a fuel pump. But, yes the fuel is free flowing from the tank to the carburetor and the carb bowl is full.