Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

98 polaris sportsman 500 4x4

Old 01-19-2019, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 polaris sportsman 500 4x4

I am having trouble with getting my four wheeler started I have replaced the carburetor ran like brand new then one day it just stopped it still turns over and I have Spark and the engine is rebuilt I cannot figure out why it is still not running

Old 02-22-2019, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

My '05 500 H.O. ATP gets moisture in the tank through the gas gauge/ tank cap as well as the vent that is just behind the tank cap when it rain's or snow's here. After replacing the carb today. I found water in the carburetor cable to butterfly linkage housing. Due to a torn cable boot on the carb end.
The reason I swapped the carb is i let it sit for about 6 month's after a real heavy rain. The float needle and it's seat have oxidized to the point that the needle gets stuck in the up or in the closed position and not allowing fuel to flow into the float bowl to fill it fast enough to start. However i had a solid flow when i cracked the drain screw. Just not enough for the pilot and choke circuits to pull enough fuel to start. It was the fuel pump that kept just enough fuel flowing to the carb that the amount wborderline while cranking it over it fooled me a couple of times. Took the carb back off and bench tested carb and found the problem.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply but I sold it and got a brand new one