Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 700

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 700

My fiance wants to get her dads bike goin, it's a 04 polaris sportsman 700, I tried to see if it would turn over a few months ago, aired the tires up, when I pulled it out, the tire role about half a role, stop and drag for about 3 ft then role again until I stopped pulling it, the shifter moves back and forth and feels like its goin into different gears, battery is shot so tried to jump the starter, it will engage but wont turn over. Bike has oil in it, it's been sitting for a few years and idk why they parked it the first place, could it be hung in gear some how? I dont know much about these bikes, I've always had hondas, any advice would be appreciated

Old 02-09-2019, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Pete1993
My fiance wants to get her dads bike goin, it's a 04 polaris sportsman 700, I tried to see if it would turn over a few months ago, aired the tires up, when I pulled it out, the tire role about half a role, stop and drag for about 3 ft then role again until I stopped pulling it, the shifter moves back and forth and feels like its goin into different gears, battery is shot so tried to jump the starter, it will engage but wont turn over. Bike has oil in it, it's been sitting for a few years and idk why they parked it the first place, could it be hung in gear some how? I dont know much about these bikes, I've always had hondas, any advice would be appreciated
If it was "Hung in gear" it would roll freely. If it sat for a long time look at the calipers, maybe they got rusty from sitting and you can move it and then hit the rust causing it to skid? Doubt it but I have seen that before. When you jumped the starter did it spin, or did it "Try" to turn the motor over and not have enough power to do so? If it spins but doesnt engage, I bet the starter bendix is rusted from sitting(condensation) If it does engage but wont turn over, id put the correct battery in it and see what it does. Even if they parked due to motor failures, that particular engine didnt seize causing it to be hard to turn over(at least in my area) What I mean is if the starter engages and wont turn it over, its probably NOT a scored piston or anything. That motor just didnt seem to be prone to that. It could however have filled the crankcase with fuel from the carb sitting and have a hydro lock. Pull the plugs and roll the motor over to get the fuel out of the cylinders. Be carefull though, if the spark plug or wire, fire, you could have a bad situation on your hands at that point if it ignited the fuel coming out of the cylinders.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default .

When I jumped the starter It would just engage, the motor would not turn over, neither did the starter, will try pulling plugs out and see if itll turn over