Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2008 sportsman 500 front diff

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 sportsman 500 front diff

Picked up a 08 sp 500 efi, 4x4 indicator on but front wheels dont move. Went to drain diff and bone dry, little bit of rust/dirt came out.
Before I RIP the front end apart and radiator, can I try flushing the diff then refilling with Polaris diff fluid? Bearings seem fine, could be cracked cage or it might just need fluid😂 lol. In a miracle situation

Old 02-09-2019, 08:49 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything is possible. Maybe a kerosene soak overnight before you flush it? And don't forget to pray.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

Total mess inside, pulled it out earlier. I was surprised that I was able to sneak it out the back without having to drain and move radiator. That was a nice bonus, I had a 05 sp 600 that wouldn't come out without moving radiator.
Anyway I pulled it all apart and didn't notice any cracks or damage to cage but after removing it I cracked it a couple times in the process. I was replacing it anyway. I need some help removing the pinion gear/bearing. I dont want to damage the case, (yes retaining ring is out.) It won't budge.
. I also need to know what parts I can salvage in there, I dont want to spend a fortune buying everything, hoping I can order new bearings/seals, cage and maybe armature plate. Thanks for any help.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:27 AM
Range Rover
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 08 diff

Quad logic got some all inclusive front diff kits.I put one in my o4 front diff I had similar problem PO had run out of fluid rusty sludge all bearings were toast rollers and cage were froze my diff. vent line up top was plugged with mud also CAUSE????. The kits have all bearings seals arm plate alum. cage rollers hope this helps

Last edited by 850 trailrider; 02-10-2019 at 12:13 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 02-12-2019, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

Ok I ordered the bearings and seals, thos model front diff has the ADC (Automatic Decent Control) so there are clutch packs and also some other parts. I'm pretty sure these clutch packs/plates are supposed to have some carbon areas on them. Mine are smooth. Worn out. Not worth the cost of about 600 to replace, so can I eliminate adc? Can I keep those clutch plates out or just leave them in and disable adc?
parts 2 5 and 22 are parts of adc. The other picture is the clutch pack , gear and bearing wich is 2 and 5. The clutch plates are junk

Old 02-12-2019, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

ADC can be eliminated in more than one way. Electrically you can remove the Brown/white and grey/red wires at the connector. On your machine Im not recommending this fix because there is a serial number break, which that year has 2 different "ADC" switch assemblies on the handle bar. It works on one style but not the other. Basically it can be done this way on some, but not all. Others years and models MAY have different color wiring too(in case anyone with a different model reads this)

Another thing you can do since the gear case is apart already is with this part - 3234434 Kit, Cam and Armature - Either grind the "CAM" in red, off so it wont actuate the ADC "Pump" or you could probably just remove it to and leave just the inner "race" in green, but the spacing I believe is important for clearances(been a while since I did it) Also, since its apart, dont bleed the ADC system and that wont allow it to function either but will still have oil in for lubrication.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

I found this video, same delete process?https://youtu.be/FBGho4e7Vqw

Old 02-12-2019, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

I found this video, same delete process?

https://youtu.be/FBGho4e7Vqw

Old 02-12-2019, 10:46 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same kind of ATV and the ADC is the only thing that's given me a problem since 2008. It's beyond my mechanical ability to work on so I paid the the dealer to fix it. It was VERY expensive. Then it broke again and they fixed it for free. I'd be better off if it never had ADC in the first place. I haven't needed it yet, and if I didn't accidentally push the button too far when I wanted 4WD I wouldn't have turned it on.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lph008
I found this video, same delete process?

https://youtu.be/FBGho4e7Vqw
I didnt watch the whole thing, but yes, that will do it.👍

Quick Reply: 2008 sportsman 500 front diff