Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Snow Tracks Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 10:25 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Tracks Question

For those in the know. Does a 2007 Polaris 500 have enough horse power to pull a set of tracks in fairly steep country? In your opinion which tracks would you recommend for rocky semi snowy trails to deep snow? Thanks Jim

Old 02-24-2019, 06:14 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you search ,you will find that someone actually did a lot of posting with pictures on his Polaris with tracks and I think it was less then a 500, but remember for sure. he had really good luck with his.
update; after doing a search myself I can not find the old post he put on. I'm pretty sure it was a sportsman 400 the newer model like around 2008. he had posted a lot of pictures of his bike up in the mountains in very deep snow. but it was more then 10 years ago.

Last edited by stendori; 02-24-2019 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Tracks use lots of HP, more than most people realize. You dont want to be at the bottom of the power range when you really need it. The terrain and your riding style will dictate whether you have enough power. Remember the tracks will cut your speed down by 2/3...and power follows along with that.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:17 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

that's why they use low range for most of the riding because of the power lost you mentioned.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:57 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tracks are fine if you want to putt around at 10 mph, but you can buy a used snowmobile cheaper than a new set of tracks. A snowmobile wouldn't be any good on rocks but it would be better than any ATV in snow. Mongrol had tracks on his ATV but when I looked for his name using the search function I couldn't find him. So I looked through pages of user names until I found him. But when I clicked to see threads started by him, or any of his 1,894 posts, it's like he doesn't exist. He just disappeared 5 years ago and so did all his posts. He had an 09 Sportsman 550XP EFI EPS with Tatou 4S tracks. I wouldn't put tracks on an ATV without EPS.

https://atvconnection.com/forums/mem...rol-89666.html

Old 02-24-2019, 06:47 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies you guys.

My situation is kind of unique. I live off the grid and am snowed in this very moment. We tried snow mobiles but not practical in this situation. Just need something to get to the trucks 4 miles away. Right now there are 2-5 foot drifts on the road. Down here by the river about 18 inches now but usually bare. The plow trucks finally became over whelmed so here I sit. Some years only snow the last couple miles some years like this one tons of snow everywhere.

The ranch quad is a 2007 Polaris and everything points towards putting tracks on it just to get to the trucks and do some plowing if necessary. We hand dig a quad trail but that takes time. Heck 10 MPH would be plenty fast so it is not a recreational thing but it would need to climb some fairly steep 4 WD road and that is why I'm worried about the HP with the 500.

Again thanks for responding.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:38 PM
THE BERMINATOR

As long as you keep it in low I don't think it will be a problem.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:17 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

Originally Posted by Big Frank
Tracks are fine if you want to putt around at 10 mph, but you can buy a used snowmobile cheaper than a new set of tracks. A snowmobile wouldn't be any good on rocks but it would be better than any ATV in snow. Mongrol had tracks on his ATV but when I looked for his name using the search function I couldn't find him. So I looked through pages of user names until I found him. But when I clicked to see threads started by him, or any of his 1,894 posts, it's like he doesn't exist. He just disappeared 5 years ago and so did all his posts. He had an 09 Sportsman 550XP EFI EPS with Tatou 4S tracks. I wouldn't put tracks on an ATV without EPS.

https://atvconnection.com/forums/mem...rol-89666.html
yep that was his name I just couldn't remember it lol. good job frank!

Old 02-25-2019, 11:16 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Thanks. I remembered it was Mongrol but wasn't 100% sure it was spelled mongrol with an o. I don't know anyone else who spells mongrel that way and I got it right the first time. Too bad all his posts are gone. He had more posts about tracks than anyone else I know of. And I think he tried other tracks before the Tatou 4S and knew a lot about those too. If his posts are still here I think I figured out how to find them and will give it a shot.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:50 PM
THE BERMINATOR

I couldn't find a trace of Mongrol by searching Posts or Threads but when I did a Google Search of the forum for mongrol I found 597 results. And when I did a google search for tatou I found 34 results. Here's one that was right here on the Polaris forum. A cheap snowmobile may be an option for some people but TLC acted like a snowmobile is the only option for anyone on snow.

https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/329097-track-drive.html

https://atvconnection.com/forums/search.php?do=showgcs&query=mongrol

A google search for tracks came up with 12,600 results but I'm not going through them.

Quick Reply: Snow Tracks Question