Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Noob Help: Belt Slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noob Help: Belt Slipping?

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for the naive question but I'm doing the best I can to figure out 2013 Sportsman 400 HO problem with little mechanical experience on a reserve in Northern Alberta, haha.

Last week a friend of mine broke down so I had to tow him and me and passenger home in mud. By the time I got home My quad was not throttling properly and seemed to chug with the passenger.

When I rode my machine by myself it seemed fine and "back to normal" but when I took passenger again it seemed to loose acceleration and not have much power and then really seemed to chug going up hills or loose terrain.

Based on google/forums I suspect I burnt out my belt when I towed so I replaced my belt today.

I've read you need to break a new belt in so went 20km today driving slow (20-40km/hr). However, I did notice that when I tried to go faster it seemed my old problem is back (no acceleration/loss of power over 1/2 throttle).

Question: Is this simply my new belt breaking in and normal? Or do I have a bigger problem here?

Appreciate any help as again I have very little knowledge about this sort of thing and am once again depending on the pros of this forum!

Thank you so much!

Old 05-29-2019, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

When ever a belt is replaced the clutches need a thorough cleaning as well. If the belt came apart then debris pieces could be trapped, not allowing the clutches to function properly. Clutch faces become glazed and that needs to be cleaned off. Lots of youtube info if needed.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:48 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a new belt would not make the issue you are describing. as mentioned the belt dust should be cleaned out. if you burnt your belt it would be severely glazed and should noticed it easily. hopefully you replaced it with an oem belt and not aftermarket. you might have also melted the buttons in the secondary clutch which will not let the secondary shift out correctly. this happened when you really overheat your clutches and belt like you did by doing what you did.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:30 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you were towing your friend in high gear instead of low, that's how you messed it up. That makes everything overheat and you should never do it. I think stendori is right.