Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

IS IT TRUE THAT THE POLARIS IS THE BEST ATV FOR RIDING IN THE MUD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2001, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it true that the polaris is the best atv for riding in the mud. I ride a rancher and was thinking about putting a set of mudtires on it.

Old 05-04-2001, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think they are.Living in south ga.near two rivers,we get rain and it holds in the bottoms.With a sp polaris's ground clearance and real 4x4 its hard to beat.grizz and honda's have more hang ups.

Old 05-05-2001, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

I had an old 340l 4x4 and 80+% of the time I was wating for my buddies on the other side while they are struggling to make it through.. Automatic is SWEET for mud.. I find it hard to belive that any manual would be better in the mud.

Old 05-05-2001, 03:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

I guess that would depend on what kind of mud your are refering to. If you mean that bottomless black mud that is more common in the midwest and south, then the answer is yes. Based on the superior grond clearence. If you mean the kind of mud that is more common here in the northwest, which is mostly the red/orange clay kind of mud that is VERY slippery, then the answer is no. That kind of mud does have a bottom, and having alot of grond clearence isn't the most important thing. Traction and tires are what mean the most in that kind of mud. I know, because I have out "mudded" more than one Polaris in that sort of stuff just because I had the better tires. That was before I locked up my front end. Now, in the "true 4WD" vs "almost true 4WD" its really a matter of who has the best tires.

Old 05-05-2001, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider

Polaris are the best in any kind of mud. when you all 4 wheels are getting constant power it will go further than a guy that have one front wheel turning and one just sitting there, I have out mudded Grizzlys, Honda's and other with 27 inch Vamps and Outlaws, with my girlfriend on the back and over 1000 miles on stock Sportsman tires. Though I will say that driver skill plays a roll in a good mudder, got a riding buddy on a 2 wheel drive Prairie 300 with 25 inch Woolly Boggers on the back and he can go through tons of mud. Surpries the hell right out of me to see that little mchine right behind me, of course he is beating the crap out of it severly to keep up.
But hey put some mudders on the rancher and have fun that is what it is all about. Don't waorry about what was is better, juts get in the mud and get dirty.

Old 05-05-2001, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

F.Y.I.
Sportsman gets more traction than a Grizz.

Old 05-05-2001, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

i think caterpillar makes the best atv for muddin' second place goes to a jeep. just figured i'd give you polaris guys a hard time. to some, this topic would be a bashfest, but not to me. i've mellowed out--i don't really care just so my autocat w/ warn 2000 gets me from point a to b. i've never been stuck in the mud of course if i am uncomfortable with a certain sippy hole i avoid it or let my nephew on his magnum go first. if he makes it i follow, if not i haul *** to get my camera before i pull him out. call it what you want but having a picture of my nephew truly stuck on his true 4x4 is priceless. by the way, his sign in name is bushwhacker. he made one post that turned into a arctic cat slamfest. payback is and will be hell.

texascat
2001 arctic cat 500 auto
warn 2000 winch
6'6" 350lb operator

Old 05-05-2001, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not a Griz that has welded front spider gears! Like me. I have 100% 4 wheel traction at all times when in 4WD. I don't have to slip anything, or wait for something to engage. All 4 wheels are working, ALL the time when I'm in 4WD. That works going up and down hills as well! Take a Polaris and try stopping in the middle of a long steep muddy hill and then start up again. You will still have to slip the rear wheels before the front will engage. Sometimes that is enough to not make it! However, if I do the same. I will have all 4 wheels grabbing traction from the moment I even thing about give it some gas! No slipping allowed!

Rick

Old 05-05-2001, 11:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey TEXASCAT,
You don't have anything to worry about when it comes to mudding with the best of them. I went out riding with cowboy awhile ago and got to see how that front dif works on the AC. That changed my opinion! Wish I would have had as good a front dif as you do. Its very effective!

Rick

Old 05-06-2001, 10:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Tried out a 500 RMK yesterday, it has the new, full time fourwheel drive system. It seems to pull as hard as my HO, not as much on top end though. I was really impressed with the steering ,never rode any wheeler that turned as easy. Anyone else own one or try one out, what did you think

Quick Reply: IS IT TRUE THAT THE POLARIS IS THE BEST ATV FOR RIDING IN THE MUD?