Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP 500 HO vs. SP 400

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other than the engine size, I know there is a difference with the engine braking system. Is this a huge advantage? I am buying an ATV for the first time and from what I read the Polaris SP is one of the best. I looked at the Honda Rubicon, but don't like all of the gadgets, plus the fact this is their first year out. The shifting on the Rubicon gives too many options, and to me that just means more things to go wrong. So now it's between the 400 and the 500. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2001, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

yt it all depends on how your ride and where you ride. i ride here in Pennsylvania and there are alot of steep hills and you would have to ride the breaks all the way down mountain slopes and that would increase break wear and also decrease stopping power. i would not buy a polaris until they got that problem figured out. the ebs system on the 500 is one of the greatest things that the industry has come up with and you wont regret having it. but i can understand someone in a very flat state not having it.
good luck
snowdowg

Old 05-09-2001, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

FLAT STATE....OUCH! Actually there are alot of great power line runs in the Ozark Mountains that can get very steep...or so I'm told. Other than that, it's not the Rocky Mountains, but it ain't Kansas either.

Old 05-09-2001, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

YT, Get EBS even if you have to add it as a kit. My first SP500 (96) didn't have EBS. I added the upgrade kit as soon as it was available in '97. I was on my 3rd set of brakes when I added the EBS. I also found the EBS to be invaluable during hunting season. Coming down a mountain side with iced disks, isn't anything that you want to experience a second time.

Good luck!

Don

Old 05-09-2001, 10:56 PM
wyd
Range Rover

I have the 400 and it is an excellent machine. I ride steep hills and if you just tap the throttle a tad it will give some belt braking. If you ride in the winter and have EBS braking it makes the thing lock up some in the snow when you let off the throttle. Many of the guys I ride with don't like EBS in the winter. It also seems to take a little power away. Not much but the Polaris dealer said it does not allow the belt to to fit down in the clutch as well. With the HO that is not a problem since it has good power.

I got the 400 because it was alot cheaper and I just didn't need a 500 for the type of riding I do. Either one will kick a$$ for you so you won't go wrong with either.

Old 05-09-2001, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

I live and ride in North Idaho, we have steep mountains, no flat riding at all. I dont have EBS. Im on only my second set of brakes in 6000 miles. The sportsman 400 I ride with has no EBS either and I have never heard one complaint about not having it.

Old 05-09-2001, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

I live and ride in North Idaho, we have steep mountains, no flat riding at all. I dont have EBS. Im on only my second set of brakes in 6000 miles. The sportsman 400 I ride with has no EBS either and I have never heard one complaint about not having it.

Trending Topics

Old 05-09-2001, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Old 05-10-2001, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

Dont know what happerned there, guess I just wanted to get my point across!!

Old 05-10-2001, 07:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

YT,
i had a '95 magnum 425 and enjoyed it very much. the only 2 improvements i looked for was shaft drive and ebs. i carry a passenger and it was a pain to always be squeezing that brake handle as hard as i could, 'cause there was no engine braking!
my new machine is a '01 sp500ho. same weight as a sp400, little more money, and more power than my old 425 magnum(same engine as sp400). i also planned to buy large mudders so i thought the 500 engine was a must.
i love my sportsman! so will you, no matter which model you chose.
also, i share the same thoughts about the rubi that you do. i did concider one to! i've NEVER once regreted purchasing my sportsman!
TELL US WHAT YOU END UP BUYING!(get one before the free warn winch promo ends!)

'01 sportsman 500ho (red)
2000 warn winch
26" outlaws
'00 tahoe