Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Aaen Performnace Parts for Scrambler 500

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-1999, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any experience with the Aaen Megaphone muffler for the Scrambler 500. It seems much cheaper than some of the others. They claim 5 Hp increases at the Low and Mid Range RPMs. As far as sound goes they say it is 4-5 dbs louder with a much lower grunt. I'm still looking for a little more power.

I just ordered and installed their roller secondary clutch kit yesterday. It seems to work pretty good but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

I haven't decided yet on their primary clutch kit. I not crazy about the higher RPM engagement from their new spring. I like to climb over stuff slowly.

Mark
97 & 99 Scrambler 500s

Old 12-04-1999, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer

I have the 97 scrambler 500 (non HO) and it has the AAEN megaphone. It is definitly louder than stock, but has a very cool sound. IN my opinion the power gain was mostly felt mid range and a little toward the end of low. If I could buy a pipe all over again I would get the same one.

I am having the same problem over what clutch kit to get cause I like to climb over stuff too. E- Mail me when you figure out what clutching you get.

------------------
Ryan Hamilton Scrambler 500-97 Sportsman 500-97

Old 12-05-1999, 10:59 AM
Trailblazer

I ride with a friend that has the megaphone. I have the FMF MegaMax II. Save your money awhile longer and buy a pipe that has disks you can adjust. My buddy wishes he did. We think his pipe sounds a little strange too, where mine has a very Low solid thumb sound. In my opinion, stay away from the megaphone (name sounds too much like a sales pitch too). Couldnot be more satisfied with my pipe. Also, don't forget to rejet!! FYI, 2 of my friends that ride 400EXs have installed FMF Pipes without rejetting, both have burned holes in their pistons. Be careful when playing with the asperation of any machine.

Jerome Coker '99 500 & 400 Scramblers.

Old 12-05-1999, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer

I don't believe in just bolting on pipe and gaining 5 HP. The stock setup was designed from the factory to utilize the stock components. All components should be matched to compliment each other. It may be possible to gain maybe 1 HP just by installing a pipe and maybe more if you use a tunable muffler like the FMF. If you talk to Olav Aaen ( Aaen Performance ) or Darrell Olson ( HPD ) they will agree that the maximum power potential of a pipe is with the accompaniment of a jet kit. I ordered my pipe as a kit with a larger 42mm flat side carburetor and roller action clutch kit. I first installed the pipe and rode around for a bit. I barely noticed an improvement. I removed the pipe and then installed the roller clutch kit. This was a big improvement. I then reinstalled the megaphone pipe and went for a test ride. The pipe felt a little stronger with the new RPM range but not 5 HP stronger. Finally I installed the 42mm carb and took it for a test ride. The results were what I expected. An overall increase in power throughout the power band without any dead spots was achieved.

Summing it all up –
The roller action clutch kit provides almost resistance free action. Optional front clutch springs and flyweights allow higher engagement speeds but are not a requirement with the roller clutch. I have an Aaen red front spring with gives an engagement speed 1000 RPM’s over stock and 55 gram flyweights to keep the belt tight enough to keep the engine from exceeding 7000 RPM’s under load. The 42mm carburetor gives instant throttle response and harder acceleration throughout the power band. Finally the megaphone exhaust provides its own new thermodynamic properties that are enhanced by a lager carburetor and higher operating RPM’s with the help of the Aaen roller action clutch kit. This set up was actually tested on a 98 scrambler against a 99 scrambler in an issue of dirt wheels ( I think ).

Chris Picciotto
99 Scrambler 500