Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Just got back from Canada and got hassled at bourder not only on Gun's but 4 wheeler paper work...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were detained for about 4 hours at the Canadian border because we were taking guns to go bear hunting as we thought. But to our amazment we were told we had to have certificate of origon as well as our registration papers on all our 4 wheelers.... I take my regstration papers for my 4 wheeler and my numbers are on it also but who the heck takes there certificate of origon? Then to top it off when we came back to the good old US of A the us customs agents went over the 4 wheelers with a fine tooth comb we where held up for 2 more hours on the u.s. side while they check to see if they were stolen.... No question about it I will not be going to Canada any more. Gee we don't even look like drug dealers.... just a couple of old guys ....

realoldguy

2001 scrambler 400
2001 Explore 4x4
2001 Trailblazer
2001 Honda 250EX

Old 05-25-2001, 02:48 AM
Pro Rider

I have never been hassled that bad but i guess my turn will come Which port did you cross at? Some of the bigger ports need to be avoided for that reason they are all looking for that big bust. Hey did you get the drugs and mexicans acroos with out getting caught? LoL

Old 05-25-2001, 05:41 AM
Trailblazer

I've made my last trip to canada. Those commie ***** don't need or want my money. They can do without it.

Old 05-25-2001, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider

Been there, done that!!!! After I thought about it for a while, I decided that I MUST HAVE fit one of their "profiles". That is generally WHY they shake you down at the border.
In OHIO,you surrender the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin to the BMV, as part of TITLING process! How could you produe that for customs!!!!!

Old 05-25-2001, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider

Been there, done that!!!! After I thought about it for a while, I decided that I MUST HAVE fit one of their "profiles". That is generally WHY they shake you down at the border.
In OHIO,you surrender the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin to the BMV, as part of TITLING process! How could you produe that for customs!!!!!

Old 05-25-2001, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

You know I can understand checking out someone that is taking firearms into another country. I sure hope that if a group from the middle east is entering the U.S. with weapons that someone in customs is checking them out. I don't think making you pay a fee for bringing those firearms is in any way appropriate though.
As far as ATVs crossing thru customs, that makes no sense to me. All I can figure is that they must have a problem with people taking stolen ATVs over into Canada or something. It sounds like they are treating the atvs the same way the U.S. treats cars that are entering the U.S. from overseas destinations. The thing is they don't check your vehicle registration when entering Canada so heck you could be pulling legally registered atvs with a recently stolen truck and they wouldn't know it.
Perhaps they have busted people smuggling drugs into Canada using ATVs, who knows. I would think though that if you have the registration for the atvs that should suffice and they should just wave you thru.
Heck realoldguy, you were probably just acting a little loopy that day and they figured you had to be doing some type of drugs.
They promote Canada as a sportsmens paradise so I think they should try to accomodate those sportsmen a little better than it sounds like they have been.

Old 05-25-2001, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry for your trouble but it's your Gov as well as ours that is causeing the problems. I think both have become out of touch with us real people. After all he did say 2hrs Can, then 2hrs U.S. Heck one of Clintons laws is the reason we gun dealers are haveing a hard time getting our ammuntion supplys from across the border.

Old 05-25-2001, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

I crossed the border at the Thousand Island bridge on Friday, 5/18. No problem, took all of twenty seconds. My buddy behind me took his ATV, no problem. However, in the inspection lot, there were four trucks, with three ATVs each on trailers, there was a bunch of guys standing there with their hands on their hips, while the inspectors were going over their quads. We came back over the border on Wednesday, loaded down with Molson XXX, another twenty seconds, no problems. I think the Peace Bridge at Buffalo is a little stricter.

Old 05-25-2001, 10:49 AM
Trailblazer

Realoldguy,

What Provience were you going hunting in and where did you cross the border?

Did you in fact go hunting as your post is not quite clear on that. If you did go did you get a bear and did they give you a hassel about the bear?

Old 05-25-2001, 10:59 AM
Trailblazer

We were just in Canada last week, & we didn't have any problems at all. They just waved us through, no problem. We didn't have any firearms though. They didn't even check paperwork on the 4 wheelers. We crossed over at Sault St. Marie.

Quick Reply: Just got back from Canada and got hassled at bourder not only on Gun's but 4 wheeler paper work...