Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Opinions sought on Scrambler 500

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-1999, 06:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently I'm in the market for a new performance/sport oriented quad and have looked at all the various models out there. I have to say, Polaris looks like it's finally coming around. I love the scramblers performance oriented 4X4 concept. Living and riding in Minnesota a good portion of our riding season is in snow so the 4x4 are an important feature.

Being a Honda fan for years, I was skeptical of Polaris given their "utility" reputation; but after test riding the 500, I was impressed... Power, handling and agility all of which made the 550lb. thumper feel surprisingly light.

I'm seriously considering the 500 however; one of my main concerns is taking the Scrambler 500 to the next level. Primarily putting it on a diet, improving suspension (especially the soft front end) and adding ponies?

I was looking for feedback on the front transfer case. Wondering if anyone has had trouble with it? How much pounding it can take?

Comments or suggestions welcomed.

Old 12-12-1999, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get more power out of it, and you can get stiffer springs up front, or all new struts. Going on a diet, is a little tougher however, although possible. You can save weight by cutting off the floorboards & welding on pegs, putting a smaller battery and remove lights, get lighter handle bars, lighter wheels & tires, lighter steering stem, lighter exhaust parts, lighter swingarm and basicaly spend a whole lot of money.

I haven't had any problems with front 4wd componets, except tearing a drive boot, which isn't something that is Polaris fault.