Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Lift Kit for Sportsmen:

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-1999, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have a lift kit for a Sportsman 335 or 500? If so, could you tell me what parts there are to it; like spacers,etc. And could you give the dimensions of them,also? I figured if I didnt like the extra lift I could take it off and wouldn't have lost anything, like the 145 bucks they cost at the dealer.
BushHog

Old 12-13-1999, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

Go the ATV Connection product reviews, and then find the Tri-Claw review. In the article it has pictures of front lift for the Polaris.

Old 12-13-1999, 12:18 AM
Trailblazer

BushHog,
You can purchase just the front lift from HighLifter.com The rear clearance is fine without a lift, even with 27's on.

Old 12-13-1999, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris also makes coil spring "lifts" that are just like nascar spring rubbers. I have a set right now and they look like they will do the job nicely.

Old 12-14-1999, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

In the picture of the "lift components" on the review page, what are the smaller two spacers for?

Old 12-14-1999, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Bush,
The two smaller spacers go inside the shock holders. Thats the Aluminum pieces that go up along the inside of the wheels that have Polaris embossed in them.
When you remove the shock and spring assembly, The smaller spacers are dropped down inside there... and the larger ones go inbetween the spring and lower spring seat.
One lifts your spring, the other lifts your shock..

Old 12-14-1999, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Thank you very much.
BushHog

Trending Topics

Old 12-15-1999, 07:44 AM
Pro Rider

After a friend of mine parted with the bucks to put High Lifter’s front kit on his SP, and saw what it consisted of, he decided it could be easily made. He showed the pieces to a machinist friend of his who took the dimensions. After much prodding and a long wait the machinist decided that the size of the stock used to make these spacers was too difficult to find. My friend ended up buying another kit from High Lifter for his wife’s machine.

I personally don’t know if the size of the material is odd or not. The spacers that drop inside the strut holders could be made of just about anything that doesn’t compress. It’s the spacers that sit under the springs that are a critical size, and my observation was that the ones in the kit could have had a little smaller ID to reduce slop.

I was, and am, very happy with the front kit. My 26” Mud Runners no longer hit the fenders no mater what kind of “dip” I hit, and they hit a lot before, even with the stiffer front springs installed. The front kit worked so well I decided to install the rear kit. You’d better have a little bit of mechanic in you for that installation. The angle brackets didn’t line up with the holes and had to be bent in a vise to fit. The muffler is in the way of where the top of the right shock ends up being, but not so much that it can’t be tweaked to fit. All pretty normal stuff for an aftermarket add-on really. I will say that it appears High Lifter did their homework in the design of this rear kit, even if the manufactured parts could fit better. There’s a lot going on back there and the kit seems to address the concerns of the IRS geometry well. The front kit is essentially just spacers and is wonderfully simple in its design and function.

All in all I’m very pleased with the results of installing both kits. I’m not a woods racer, preferring mud and more technical terrain. With me off the machine, but loaded with the normal (considerable) amount of gear I carry, there’s a full 13” of air between it and the ground on both ends. That’s with the firm front springs, and stock rears on the softest setting (I’ve been meaning to crank them up a notch). For my riding style the extra ground clearance has never felt tippy and allows me to drive right over rocks that others have to go around. That extra air makes a BIG difference in the mud too, and I expect it will in the snow.

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Old 12-18-1999, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Could you put the spacers on top of the shock and spring somehow?-instead of the bottom?