Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris and Invalid Warrenties?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-1999, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is said by Polaris Manufactures that a new customers 6 month warrenty is INVALID if the buyer did not take the ATV safety course that all Polaris dealers offer.While I am in complete agreement that a safety course is a great idea to many customers,I personally found it irritating that Polaris would void my warrenty if I did'nt take the course.Having many yrs of ATV experience under my belt,the course taught me nothing at all.Can Polaris ''Legally'' do this to a customer who might deny the course?How do others feel?Thanks=====BILL

------------------

Old 12-14-1999, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with u 100% but unfortuanilly i am not a attorney so i dont no if is legal. it this for just atvs or for snowmobiles and pwc to??

Old 12-14-1999, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer

When I purchased my sp500 in 98 I watched the film and basically took the safety course because of the warranty issue. A year later a park ranger in Texas stopped our group and asked us for our safety course sticker which I did not have but we informed him that we had taken the course at the dealership. To our surprise this was not the proper course, we got a warning and got all the information needed to get the proper paper work.
When we called about taking the rider safety course they told me that because Polaris does not participate the charge will be $ 35.00 dollars.
What is the point in Polaris forcing me to take a safety course that only satisfies their needs and not the required course to ride on public land in many states.

Old 12-14-1999, 09:35 PM
Range Rover

your dealer did not let u take the safety course in the parkin lot thats all we had no do and when he gave me all the papers it said a took the coures

------------------
99 500 scrambler with hotseat pipe and clutch dg bumper soon to have pistons and air box mod 93 yamaha t-wolve with a broken taillight soon to be fixed tailight is now fixed now need to fix headlight

Old 12-14-1999, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

MY dealer said that polaris had pulled dealerships from some that were not giving the safety course.I had polaris call me once to see if I had been given the grand tour>

------------------
THE FORMER CORNCOB2

Old 12-15-1999, 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

All I had to do was sign some papers saying that i took the saftey coarse.

Old 12-15-1999, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider

I hate to say it but I think you guys are missing the bigger picture here. Yea, I agree that Polaris’ imposing their “safety course” to activate the warranty is BS. Those of us with both feet on the ground (or the floorboards) don’t like being made to jump through the hoops our liberal tort legal system has created. But when you have million dollar settlements for people who are too stupid to know coffee is hot, what do you expect?

Polaris is covering their ***, to be sure. But while they’re doing that they’re also making it more difficult for idiots to sue them, and that helps keep negative publicity about our sport out of the media. More importantly it also helps keep them and the other manufactures in business and doesn’t add the cost of a large court settlement to our next new quad.

I suspect Polaris’ rudimentary safety course was designed to do two things. First, to absolve them from any (legal) negligence from putting an inexperienced rider on a potentially dangerous machine. Second, with a little knowledge the novice rider will have a lot more fun. It’s a national program and can’t be expected to comply with the differences there may be in the course your state or municipality might require. Polaris want’s to be clear of liability BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE LOT. They have no control over whether or not you leave there and go straight to whatever course your local government requires.

Over the past several years I’ve bought six Polaris machines for myself and my wife. Each time I was “required” to take the safety course (yea, right). To those of us who are experienced riders this seems like (and is) bureaucratic BS but it’s a reality of the society we live in, not the fault of Polaris.

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Trending Topics

Old 12-15-1999, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FloodRunner ,I do indeed agree with your comments,however,would it not be much better for Polaris and a NEW customer if they offered the 4hr in class training with ''Certified'' Personal showing more aspects of ATVing?Riders such as yourself and I [experienced]will be just fine on the little safety course that is giving by Polaris.I worry about first time riders,and younger ones to.I personally have shown some first time riders more in safety than the course that Polaris offers.I do understand that Polaris is covering their butts.The price of quads is overwhelming.Polaris should give new riders more for their $$$$ when it comes to safety.

------------------

Old 12-15-1999, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

yamaha did a little better they use to give 50 dollars cash or 100 dollars yamaha stuff for taking a 3 hour class.but that was back in 1992.the polaris dealer made drive around the parking lot.i even pointed out the manual said not use on paved surfaces.did not complane much gest wanted to get home and ride.

Old 12-15-1999, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

In a “more perfect” world each dealer might have a state certified safety instructor standing idly by just waiting for the opportunity to show the buyer everything they ever wanted to know about quading (but were afraid to ask). That’s not going to happen unless the government mandates it (God forbid!). I guess I really can’t say much more about this subject without repeating myself, so I’ll shut up. Just my opinion.

------------------
FloodRunner, on the Wisconsin River

Quick Reply: Polaris and Invalid Warrenties?