Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

My POLARIS is Junk

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the roll pin can be reused. just take a hammer and a real long punch like 3 ' Yes three feet that works the best. Pound it out and out comes the shaft. Been there done that. also what happened to the shaft did you blow a cv joint or tear a boot.?

Old 06-22-2001, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Is there more than one Polaris manufacturing plant, or is there just the one in Rousseau?
So many of you guys who are discussing the problems you've had with your Polaris, live in the midwest.
Its just a hunch, but are the ATVs we're getting up here in the northwest built to more strict specifications than out there? Because up here, Polaris ATVs really seem to be more reliable. Not only do I own one, but I know a lot of people with them, and none of them ever seem to have trouble with any manufacturing defaults.

Hmm...

Old 06-22-2001, 06:07 PM
Trailblazer

OK, sorry POLARIS is great!
Now whenever I ask a question on this forum, well I’m lucky to get 1 reply. So if I always received so many answers maybe my bike would run more often. Just a thought.

Old 06-22-2001, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, I am suprised. I own the xpedition 425cc and I am into my 3rd. year now. I had some problems during my warranty period and once all the little problems were fixed. My atv has been reliable. I have never yet had to be towed out of the woods during a ride with a bunch of people. To me the xpedition has been reliable. It was just a matter of getting all the factory flaws problems replaced. I don't know why you are having all these problems. You sound very fed up about it. I will buy polaris atv's again and I do not feel the same way about my xpedition that you do yours.
I have seen every brand of atv almost have problems. I don't think you will find an entirely trouble free atv out there. there is none.
rangerchet

Old 06-22-2001, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

I rarely see any polaris quads older than about '96 out on the trails. The last dice run I went on I only saw 2 or 3 older polaris quads. Most of the polaris's I saw were newer ones. I didn't see any polaris cyclones, polaris three wheelers, nor trail boss 250rs, nor .. But I did see many old Honda three wheelers, a few yamaha three wheelers, and many older non-polaris four wheelers. In the long term, I just don't think that Polaris quads are reliable. I liked the one I owned, but it nickel and dimed me to death. I think that if you're going to buy a quad only expecting to keep it for one or two years, then it's ok to go with a Polaris. But if you want a quad to keep for many years, go with a different brand. Part of the reason that I didn't buy a new Polaris for my last quad was because the resale value was much lower than the other brands.

Old 06-26-2001, 02:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think Trailblazer got a good point about the average age of ATVs.

I noticed exactly the same thing here in Quebec. There are dozens of Polaris owners claming that their 99, 2000 or 2001 Polaris are troublefree, while many Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki or Honda owners are claiming the same thing for much older ATVs.

Personnaly, my previous ATV was a 1987 LTF4W Suzuki which I kept for 11 years. It only was a 250 cc engine which I beated the hell out of it. I never had any problems with it besides a broken axle (I told you I beated the hell out of it !!!). I paid 4800$ CAN in august 1986 and 11 years later, the Yamaha dealer gave me 2500$ CAN to take it back. 5 days later the ATV was sold for 2800$ CAN. Talk about a good resale value.

If Polaris could deliver the same trouble free operation and a good resale value, I would be the first to buy a Polaris, because I heard so much about the good ride it delivers. For now, I think I'll wait ...

Old 06-26-2001, 04:13 PM
Trailblazer

Maybe Maine only gets the good Polaris machines? Seriously I too ride with several 96-2000 Polaris models and we suffer no troubles at all. No one has replaced tie-rods, brakes pads or anything else. Are we whimpy drivers? If riding double in mud up over the font rack in low range full throttle while towing a stuck two wheel drive machine also with two people on it is considered whimpy? Then guilty I am.
Not sure why we do not seem to suffer those issues? different terrain? is the mud up here not as prone to wear out brake pads? No one I ride with use oversized tires we all have stock type tires could this be helping us not eat up tie rod ends and drive train parts?

Old 06-26-2001, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

Point duly noted. My 99 has been trouble free since day one. I ride with four other Polaris owners, '95-2000 year models, again, trouble free. I also ride with four Raptor owners. Less than a year on their quads, they are mechanical nightmares. I ride with five Suzuki owners, again, trouble free. The Honda owners I ride with also seem to have mechanical failures quite frequently. When you buy something that is technically made to be ridden hard, ie: mud, snow, rocks, hillclimbing, it will eventually let you down, sooner or later. It's all a roll of the dice. If you have good experiences with a manufacturer, you tend to stick with it. If it's a piece of crap, move on.

Old 06-27-2001, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

You don't change oil in a 400 Scrambler, Scramdummy. So go find Joe Blow and do him a favor.

Old 06-27-2001, 07:37 AM
Range Rover

Slinger,

On the contrary. The counterbalancer oil must be changed bi-yearly. It's 30 weight motor oil.

Quick Reply: My POLARIS is Junk