Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Review of SC 500 4x4 by a 400 EX owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2001, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back when I was figuring out which quad to buy last year it was between those two. For the type of riding I do I made the wrong choice. The SC500 is a nice machine. The seat is soft, the suspension is nice[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
It rides very solid. It takes varied terrain with confidence. It jumped well for the little stuff I do. Brakes worked good. I didn't want to get back on mine. When I did, I didn't like it as much as I did the sc500. I love the 400 ex, and it is a great bike for what it is, but not quite as versatile as the SC500. The 4 wheel drive steering was decent. My friend just bought this brand new last week and this was the first time it was out. My 400 ex is factory bone stock. Now, for those who say the sc500 will beat the 400 ex stock for stock, you're incorrect. Hp is about the same and the 400ex is about 180# lighter. We dragged on pavement and dirt many times. I beat him by 3-5 quad lengths to the top of my 4 th gear, maybe 45 mph. I was impressed that the sc500 kept up that well for an automatic. I want one. Anyone want to trade?

Also, my friend flipped off it backwards on a small hill because he punched the gas for some reason. Almost fell on him. That's scary. Has anyone here lived through one actually falling on you?

Old 07-05-2001, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer

I will trade I have a 2000 Scrambler 500 4x4.E-Mail me at Jpstercj7@aol.com.And we will talk.

Old 07-06-2001, 01:31 PM
GJ
Range Rover

Hi Jeff, I am also in the market for a 400ex, I have a 2000 scrambler 400 4x4 with an HPD roller clutch and aggressive clutch kit, HDP foot pegs and steering post bearing. the rest of the quad is stock. let me know if you are interested in a trade the the 400. I also have planned a trip to Silver lake the last week of this month. Thanks GJ

Old 07-06-2001, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

I've never driven a 400 4x4, but I understand that it is probably faster than the 400ex and handles almost as well. I'm surprised you're interested. You've probably driven both. In what way is my 400 ex more appropriate for the type of riding you do? Thanks.

Old 07-06-2001, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

the sc400 4x4 handles nowhere as good as a 400ex. we had both on desposal on the 4th. the sc400 is really fun to drive because it hits the pipe hard! it is really nice. that is also the problem. when it hits the pipe, the front end gets light (not really a wheelie, just light) and you cant turn very well. there is a huge lag from when you hit the gas and when you shoot forward. his was bone stock. i also didnt like the fact that you cant wheelie on demand. the acceleration of the 400ex is much quicker than the sc400, and i thought the top speed of the ex was more too. if you ride in mud, the sc is very nice. it is personal preference. i personally would never go back to automatic (i have been driving polaris sence 1995).

Old 07-06-2001, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Jeff,

From reading your posts and seeing what type of riding you do, I would say that you would be happy with the SC 400. I've heard that stock vs. stock the 500 and the 400 are pretty close in a race. However, I know from experience that a Pipe and Clutch kit make a big difference. If you are taking the 500 by a few quad lengths then I would think that a slightly modded 400 would take an EX (in a straight line). Personally, I would buy a 400 rather than a 500 just for the reason that I want to get more performance out of it then what it comes through with stock. If the stock 500 is fast enough for you then you might be better of with the 4 stroke. RedRide04 is right about the front end getting light on them during acceleration. I have that problem when trying to navigate slow trails. It's not a big deal though, I never race for anything other than pride. As for the part about hitting the throttle and having a HUGE lag...When I first tested mine out before I buying I was impressed with the throttle response and engagement of it. However, I do agree with him that there is a small bit of lag, but not HUGE. After my clutch kit install I really noticed a big difference. I don't know many quads that are that quick out of the hole. I could also tell a BIG difference after installing my new carb.

Right now I am debating on selling my quad and getting a Raptor. Like you said, I like the versatility of the Polaris. However, I also like to do a lot of jumping and playing around, and I just don't dare to push my Polaris quite that hard. You can tell after landing a big jump that it didn't like if very much. The problem is, I know that I love the quad that I have now, maybe I would like a Raptor even more, but it is a risk. Well, it looks like I'm starting to ramble, so I'll shut up now. Good luck with whatever you choose.

-Josh

Old 07-06-2001, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah, watch out when going up hills. Don't give it the juice like your friend did unless you are purposely trying to wheelie it. It comes up really fast once you get to the top. I did that last weekend, luckily the rear grab bar stops the quad from going over, but I would bet my life on it. If you are on uneven ground it could easily go over. That's why when I'm going up a hill I do my wheelies standing up. You can bail easier. Would hate to have that thing land on me.

-Josh

Old 07-06-2001, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the responses. I would like the hit of a two stroke, and did at one time consider the 400, but I don't like the smell. I have never driven ON one though, so maybe it doesn't smell as the rider, like it does when you follow a 2 stroke machine. I really don't care to get big air anymore either, so I'd rather have 4x4 and reverse. I thought the power came on rather quickly on the 500 when I was on it, and when I raced it. When we started at the same time he started as quickly as I did. I didn't hit the clutch real hard though. We were riding in a large open area with lots of terrain so I didn't get to really take any turns at any speed. How would a SC500 do on a trail? I can't tell if it would be tippy or not.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 07-06-2001, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

The SC's sit up high, but they aren't really tippy. I get a little nervous on mine somtimes when you get to a really steep section, but it's mainly because I'm thinking "If this thing comes over how am I going to save it?". I haven't had any incidents on the trails, and not even many close calls. I think that they are a overall great trail quad. One thing that I like, is that if you do get to a spot where you don't feel very comfortable you can step off of it and walk the quad through while standing next to it. That gets kinda tricky with a machine with a manual clutch. If you take your buddies Scram for a trail ride you will probably think that it does feel kind of tippy...that is the exact same way I felt, but soon realized that it was mainly because of the seat height. You get used to it.

As for the 2 stroke thing, I can't tell either way. I ride with both 4 strokes and other 2 strokes and I must be immune to that smell. I can only smell it on my sled. However, I was riding with a guy on a Kodiak this last weekend and he had to go in front of me because the smell was making him sick. I guess you just have to get used to it? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2001, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer

heh heh...
i've lived through my trailboss half-falling on me...
pulled a muscle in my back, though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
MAtto

Quick Reply: Review of SC 500 4x4 by a 400 EX owner