Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

anyone running 9" tires or wider on the front of their utility polaris 4x4s please leave a quick response...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 09:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am going to buy mud tires to go on my itp steel 12x7" wheels(the silver ones you see for sale everywhere).

anyway- i would like to run the 25x9½" outlaws on my stock xpedition (same front end as sportsman, xplorer, etc). will these babies clear the tie rods without spacers?? if not, will the 26x9" bi claws clear, as these would be my second choice?

i know many of you have mudrunners, titan 589s, etc. but will all 9" front tires not rub?

please leave a quick note regarding what you run for big gnarly mud tires, as well as clearance issues, so i have something to go on.

thank you!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2001, 10:41 AM
Trailblazer

i run the 27x9.75x12 bi claws on the front,27x12x12 tri claws rears on my expedition 425 with itp steel off set wheels..i also made 2 inch spacers for the top of the frt. springs so they wont compress as much and let the tires rub the fenders..you should be all set..i have almost a 1/4" between the tire and tie rod..my opinion as far as the tires,the outlaws and mud machines are very agressive and usually get me in more than i should get into..i just had one c/v replaced because of their size and agressiveness..rack deep mud and the front wheels turned hard to the right or left equals borken c/v most times..its not just a polaris thing it happens to them all..if i was going to buy tires with the experience that i have had with the mud machines id be looking at a less agressive tire like a goodyear m/r or something like that..the big mud tires are good but i think i could do ok with a less agressive tire..im now looking into buying titan 589`s and giving them a try,just havent decided if im going with 26 or 27`s yet..ill run the mud machines for now but if i keep breaking c/v`s then ill be buying different tires sooner,i dont want to abuse my extended warranty too bad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ..what i should have done was stop and be pulled out and take the criticism but you know how it goes..good luck with your choice whatever it is,as theres alot of good tires to choose from..let me know if you have any other questions that i might be able to answer for you..

Old 08-02-2001, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

I have 26x9 Titan 589 Mt's on my '01 Xplorer and I had to get spacers.
BTW, I also snapped a CV joint with these tires. Happy with the mudding they do, but not happy with the problems they cause. I wish I had gotten 25" tires. They come 25x8 for the fronts.

Old 08-02-2001, 04:01 AM
Trailblazer

thx for the responses.

roofer- were the 589s on the stock wheels? if so, i wonder if the spacers would be necessary with custom rims...? i remember 3tv using the itp steel/589 setup on a sportsman without tie rod clearance problems. b.t.w...i suppose you were really babying it when the cv joint broke? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

i have read that spacers were supposedly not necessary with the 28x9½" outlaws.

bowtie- those look very mean, i looked a while back. you say the outlaws do not have clearance problems other than just rubbing plastic w/o spring bushings? do your itp wheels have the basic offset, or are they offset extra for wider tires? i just want to be sure i don't need spacers. i ride some mud & a lot of snow, but no big, huge *mines better than yours* badass bogholes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] i mostly want more traction. also, i don't really need to sacrifice the extra power for an inch or so of extra ground clearance. the green 25" outlaws on ebay look kind of nice.

Xpedition2

Old 08-02-2001, 04:00 PM
Trailblazer

with my bi claws without the 2 inch spacer i could almost gaurantee that i would have lost a good part of my fender,on some of the bumps i hit i thought i was going to lose them a few times..when you order the itp wheels they ask what tires your using and of course type of atv..i never asked or measured them but they have more offset than stock wheels..example if you do alot of rock crawligng,notice your plastic front hubs get all banged to hell because they stick out with stock wheels..well with the wheels i have that hub does not stick out rather it is now recessed so its more of an off set than stock wheels,how much i dont know..on the ebay outlaws,unless you really have to have green tires then i wouldnt buy them,those are new to the market and some people have to have them just to be different,i bet the black 25"outlaws will do just as good..i was told by a few people that i could have run a 26" tire up to 9 3/4 wide with offset wheels and not need lift or spacers..you might want to call highlifter and ask them for some help,especially if you already have wheels..pick the tire you want,call them tell them what tire your looking at,then ask what offset you would need for your quad..they will give you i beleive 2 measurements an inside and an outside,compare that to what your wheels are and that will give you an answer..i didnt say you had to buy your tires from them but if you use their tech services it might be a good idea to buy from them, i hear they are good at technical help..i guess ive been lucky and havent had to call them..i ended up buying my wheels and tires from cawood tire,they were a bit cheaper..as for spacers if you buy or have the right off set wheels you wont need them for tires up to i think 10 "wide..as for that broken c/v,i was out in the woods 14 miles from the trucks..i rode it 2 miles to the nearest house at less than 5 mph as every so often it would bind and the quad would jerk to that side,had i went faster and it bound up it would have taken a hard right to god knows where..i was lucky i guess it didnt tear thru the boot and that kept it all together so i didnt tear anything up other than the c/v..i feel your confusion i remember looking at itres and wheels and then looking at all the different places to find the best prices..oh what funn [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]..those pics of my claws ,the wuad didnt have the spacers on at that time..the spacers moved my rack height up from 33 1/2 to 35 1/2,it sits pretty high now..i park next to another stock 500 magnum where i store my quad and that thing looks like one of the kiddy quads next to mine, no lie..

Old 08-03-2001, 01:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

bowtiepu1,

hi i saw your pics and i noticed there was a magnum 325 and an xpedition 425
in your opinion which do like better. I am planning on getting the xpedition 425.
any advice

thanks ,

Old 08-03-2001, 09:46 AM
Trailblazer

the expedition all day long..between the fact it has more power and that you can shift it to get the right power when you need it..the magnum wasnt a bad quad at all i personally just dont like the auto and its maximum speed was only around 40.. too slow for some of the open trails we run on

Old 08-03-2001, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

THanks alot,
I went this morning and i ended up getting the Sportsman 400 2001
any thoughts on that. Also do you recommend the front and back bumber rails.

thanks

Old 08-03-2001, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

personally i havent seen or ridden one..i do know it shares the same motor as the expedition 425 so you actually have a 425,why they named it a 400 ill never know..maybe to keep a c.c. of 100 c.c. from the sportsman ,who knows?? i will have to say the only irs quad i rode was a grizzly 660,i heard those arent as smooth as the sportsman..so in my opinion you got a nice quad with a nice cushy ride,ya cant beat that..people have preference to auto or standard and i guess because of learning on semi auto`s and pretty much always having one is why i didnt care for the auto,but thats my preference to have the gears,another reason i didnt care for the auto was having to stop before and after the mudholes to use low,yes always use low in the mud,saves your belt..good luck and enjoy it,take care of it and it should take care of you..

Old 08-04-2001, 04:01 AM
Trailblazer

thx for the reply bowtie. that info will be very helpful in making my mud tire selection.

for the sake of saving almost $100, i am considering 26x12 gators on the back, and the 26x9" biclaws on the front.

i still have to research both to make sure the heights will match up. any thoughts?

c ya
xpedition2

Quick Reply: anyone running 9" tires or wider on the front of their utility polaris 4x4s please leave a quick response...