ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   Street legal ATVs please read!!! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/45399-street-legal-atvs-please-read.html)

uflg95 08-08-2001 11:24 PM

Anyone out there who has a street legal ATV and any of the paper work you had to go through please contact me by e-mail. Myself and a friend spoke with our representitive today and he would like to see what other states are requiring as far as modifications and how there law reads. ***Edited by ATV Connection Forum Moderator***

Thank you.

FORUM RULES

1.1 What are the forum rules?

1. No commercial Advertising. No posting of commercial web addresses, phone numbers or links in either forum messages, private forum messages or in the author's signature. No use of company names in forum author nicknames or any type of solicitation for commercial business or gain.

HyperSport400XC 08-09-2001 02:46 AM

uflg,

Didn't I see one at your dealership the other day? It had turn signals, a wind shield, mirrors and street tires. It looked like a Kawasaki or Honda 300, I can't remember which.

I do know you will have to get a title from PennDOT (that's the hard part from what I hear), not to mention a plate, inspection sticker and jump through a million hoops while doing this. I've seen street legal quads at the TDF before, so I know it can be done.

uflg95 08-09-2001 06:42 PM

Yes we do have one, but that is not the problem. The problem is Harrisburg stopped doing it and we have to help them set some guidelines and prove they can be made worthy for the road. The best way that our state representitive said to do this is find the laws and street legal quad owners from other states.

So how is it going with teaching the little ones to ride? Good I hope. Those brake gaurds could get expensive, lol. Just kidding ya'!! Have a good one.

HyperSport400XC 08-09-2001 07:27 PM

I would have to say that anything that works for a motorcycle (that includes a distinct lack of turn signals) should work for a quad. You know, having to carry liability insurance got me to thinking that with just a title, plate, inspection sticker and a mirror mine could be street legal too.

It's amazing how much faster the kids can go without the parking brake on......

uflg95 08-09-2001 08:48 PM

That's exactly what we did with the first couple we built. However they put a stop to it. But the state government has a hair up their @$$ and the pencil pushin panzies don't seem to understand what we are trying to do. It has nothing to do with trying to get around the law (for me anyway), It has to do with bringing our sport to a different level. I would love to jump on my Sportsman in the morning and take a cruise to the store or to work. Hell I wouldn't need to haul it to the trails anymore, I could just drive it. They're making us jump through hoops, but I'll do it if I get my Sportsman on the street. I don't want major highways opened to them either, 2 lane blacktop at the most is fine with me.

HyperSport400XC 08-09-2001 10:58 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean. I would like to see the face of the trooper that pulled me over when I put my licence, registration and insurance in his hand. It could get old rather quickly, but I don't think they have that many troopers at the Tionesta barracks.

bayou220atv 08-09-2001 11:28 PM

well around the City would be all right, but on country roads/expressways it's insane to have an atv on the road. 1 they can't go normal speeds that cars do and 2 durability would suffer because of going at high RPM's all the time trying just to go the SPEED LIMIT. Everyone would be passing you all the time except for grandma's. It'd be a risk and a danger to you/ and people on the road. Don't get me wrong they'd be fine in town when you're going slow, but on longer trips (5-10 miles+) I think it's a bad idea, especially since if you were to get in an accident, you would be killed.

maxdad 08-10-2001 08:03 AM

It's not hard to make it street legal in WV all you have to have is Headlight, tail light, Horn and wear a helmet. But thats WV, for some reason the have no laws that govern ATV'S. (Yet)

AZ400L 08-10-2001 08:45 AM

I believe it can be done here in AZ. I'm not sure exactly what is required, try doing a search on it.

skidkid 08-10-2001 09:40 AM

bayou220,
I live out in the country and most of the posted speed limits out here are 45. People may drive 60 but the speed limit is 45 and I know that for my quad 45 is no problem and definately not reved out. If you think that an atv on the road is a hazard you should live here where the amish ride horse and buggies on the road with no requirements for lights or hazard signs if they wish not to use them. There should be no reason that I can't ride down the road with headlight, tail light, and my soon to be required liability insurance (I already have full coverage) when they can do it with none of the above. And if you were in an accident I don't think you would be at any more risk of death on an atv than if you were on a licensed motorcycle.