Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Who plans on buying the new Sp700?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 01:24 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I,m not going to buy the 700,to heavy. I think I'll wait for the 900 that is coming in 2004 with a weight of only 650#,or maybe wait for the 1100 thats coming in 2006 that only weighs 600#. What? You haven't heard? Well maybe you better check with your reliable source for more inside information.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2001, 01:32 AM
Trailblazer

I will be getting one...
sorry if the weight is such a big deal to you guys...the weight has never got me stuck on my HO and I am mudrider...
guess I will just put my Warn9000 on it and be ready to roll..

Old 08-11-2001, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

i'm not a turncoat but i'll buy a polaris tank. i'll just keep the ac around to use as an anchor just in case it gets stuck. what i really would like to see is the 700 engine in a ranger. the heavier the better with all that weight the grizzly 660 and the kawi 650 would crumble in a pull off. oh wait the kawi 650 doesn't come with a hitch so that pretty much rules it out from pulling at all. when we ride there are usually at least three arctic cats and two polaris quads and, aside from the light quad bashing among friends, we have a great time. next time we organize a ride some of you texas boys and girls (if at all possible) should come along.

texascat

Old 08-11-2001, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm in line for a 700 as we speak.

Rode the 650 and 660 and here's my 2 cents. The 650 is a good package overall but is lacking in a few areas.

1. Low clearance.
2. No IRS
3. That dif lok trigger is problematic when needed, ie. when you are stuck in the mud and need a free hand.
4. Quick hole shot but not great on top end.
5. Cheap tires.
6. Heats up quick when pulling a load.
7. Built to be no heavier than 600 lbs.

That sounds like I'm bashing the thing but I really like it. At least more than the Griz. Here goes..

The 660 Griz has a lot of top end speed and is light years ahead of the 600 but has a few major flaws in my book.

1. In 4x4 locked Dif mode 22 mph is top speed. Exceeding this will engage the rev limiter. What's up with that? Didn't see that in the ads. Bad surprize!!!
2. IRS seems to be for clearance purposes only. When the going got rough it rode like a Rubicon!
3. Didn't heat up as fast as the 650 but still did.
4. Cheap tires.
5. That 600 lb ceiling again.

I guess you can see that I've done my home work on these two. I am probably in the minority but I could cheer that the 700 is gonna weight 740lb or so. In my book that's great because here's what it means to me.

Here is why I'll wait:

Heavy-Duty Vs. Light-Duty.

My quad Will work as well as it plays.

1. No artificial weight constraints. If the powertrain calls for a certain size shaft or component it can stand on it's own merits and possibly not be tossed because it was heavy-duty and may drive up the weight.

2. Bigger means better when it comes to cooling. My local dealer told me that the 700 has a HUGE radiator and that you could pull the front grill off and clean it out. He said that it's being built with 1/3 more cooling than anything else out there.

3. Getting the power to the ground, effectively with True 4wheel drive. No levers, no lockers no BS. Flip the switch, hit the gas, hold on.

4. My dealer was told that they've made the 700 with a new belt material and design that make it almost indestructable.

5. He also said that the clutch exhaust was run up and over the gas tank and that the crank tube ran into the light pod. He also said that there were water check valves on the carb and many other improvements made to keep out water.

6. Thicker wheels and better heavier tires(Rawhides).

I asked about the 34 mil carb and he said that it was one of the measures that was taken to bring the power back down to a reasonable level. I don't know exactly what that means but the implications are sweet.

When Weight/Power ratio came up he said that was simple. It had to do with cooling. A cooler engine is a more powerful one. And getting the power from between your legs to the ground in an efficient manner. Polaris has never let me down there.

He said that the components were built to handle whatever the engine could dish out. Out of the crate and even after Bubba get's ahold of it.

After all of these things were considered the Sporstman 700 Twin was a natural selection.

I'll patiently wait for delivery of mine in September.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2001, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bravo Coonass!
Your response is right on!

Old 08-12-2001, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

The only thing wrong with the 660 Grizz is the cheap tires and inset wheels. A set of Douglas .190's and Spidertraxs fixes that, and the wider track also softens the ride, leverage and all that. It rides about the same as my old H.O., not nearly as plush as an SP. I think they designed this thing right, then some marketing guy said, "No, it has to be narrow for the woods riders". Screw him.
Here's a link to myWIDETRACK GRIZZLY 660[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Rear track is now 49", front track 46+". Stock was 43.5"
Polaris has always had the right idea when it comes to size. Bigger is better. And Yamaha has always been a leader when it comes to keeping the weight down. They just make em too narrow and/or small.
That Raptor on there has a Durablue axle, makes it just right for my 90 lb. 13 year old son. He rides real good, we blow everybody else away. We wait forever for my friends who bought our Polarises. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-12-2001, 08:34 PM
Range Rover

I talked to my local dealer and he said they will be out in september. It will weigh 740 pounds

Old 08-12-2001, 11:40 PM
Range Rover

Ahh, just saw another 700 today, they are just the greatest atv I have ever seen and heard. I don't know how to stress that enough! It looks awesome from the front also, a few changes makes it beter looking than ther regular sportsman. Sorry, I had no camera...