Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Do I need a pump to bleed my sp 500 brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I just got done replacing the back brake pads. I am not having any luck bleeding the brakes. Do I need a pump? If so where can I get one. How do I go about bleeding them also. Your help is appreciated.

Old 08-12-2001, 12:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need a pump to bleed your brakes. I don't know what your level of experience is, so I'll try to use good detail. It's easiest and cleanest if you find a clear ( you can watch for bubbles)piece of tubing to slip on the bleeder. Place the other end in a jar or container. Your rear brake has two bleeders, the inboard is for the footbrake, while the outboard is for the hand unit. First off, check your fluid levels now, and keep an eye on them throughout bleeding. Also it's a good idea to bleed your entire system once a year. Brake fluid is also very thirsty when exposed to air, likes to absorb the humidity, so keep the containers closed up tight when not in use. Pump the foot brake 3 or4 times and hold down. While holding down, slowly open the bleeder 1/4" wrench. Before letting up, close the bleeder, and repeat until you don't see anymore bubbles. Now do the same for the front system....remember to watch the fluid levels. I would go ahead and bleed both the fronts also. Anytime you are bleeding brakes always start with the caliper furthest away from the master cylinder. Good Luck

KT