Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris battery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2001, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there anyway i could put a larger battery in my 400 explorer?the brakets that hold the stock battery is no problem for modifications to hold a little bigger battery.

Old 09-23-2001, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

I used a Douglas YTX14-BS. I got this through my local autoparts dealer. This battery is basically the same width and height but, it is about an inch longer. I had to cut the two back corners so that I could bend the back side of the tray down. I then installed the battery and bent the side back up against the battery. Another good thing about this battery is that it is a sealed battery that puts out twice as many hours of use without the engine running. Besides that, it will probably out last the stock battery 2 to 1. I think battery manufactures use simular numbers so it shouldn't be hard to cross reference into another brand.

This conversion is a "thumbs up" rating from me. It definately cost more but was worth it in the long run.

Old 09-24-2001, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

I added a 1000 cranking amp car battery to my xplorer 400. I put it inside my rear toolbox. I run my driving lights, cd player, and winch with it. I don't run it off my alternator, i just make sure it's charged before i leave for a ride. It holds up for a long time. I can run my winch for a couple hours before it will drain the battery. It does add alot of weight so you might go with the a smaller battery.

Old 09-24-2001, 02:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Holy Cow, do you have an ATV or an RV? Sounds like you like to have the comforts of home. Contact Ricky Stator for a higher output stator. It's not your batteries fault. In aviation we call them constant and momentary loads. You should still have additional amps to charge your battery above and beyond the constant loads. The momentary loads are o.k. to go to your max, but if you continually go over, you'll just keep draining your battery. You need a greater output stator. If anyone is interested, there is a thin film battery I posted info on Bad Boyz of Arizona's forum. Cranks 14.5:1 compression with ease, and runs dual aftermarket 55W lights.

Ken