Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Direct Hit Ignition System 4 my 325

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2001, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably your best 31.50$ ever spent on your 400,but be sure the make the proper gapping of the spark plug to get the max performance.

Old 10-18-2001, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Highoutput2cycle, do you have this on your quad? Is it easy to install? Is there a big difference in throttle response? I am thinking about buying one for my xplorer 400. 32 bucks for more power is cheap if it actually works.

Old 10-18-2001, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer

When installing do you need to splice the new spark plug wire into the origional ingition system? Did you need everything that came in the kit or did you endup buying parts that were not needed?

Old 10-19-2001, 12:34 PM
Trailblazer

YES,i run the direct hits ignition system,the kit come with:1 wire,1 spark amplifier,1 spark plug,way too easy to install,better throttle response as well,more torque hp too,be sure to make the proper gapping of the spark plug to get max performance.

Old 10-19-2001, 12:36 PM
Trailblazer

NO parts needed after getting the kit,yes you must slice the new wire directly into your ignition coil.

Old 10-19-2001, 11:09 PM
Range Rover

Dieselpro;
That's why they make pre-filters. After a weekend at the dunes; my K&N's have no dirt residue inside. I can wipe my finger around the inside and no dirt. I wash and oil my truck's K&N once a year. When removing; there is no internal dirt. I guess all the nation's hottest tuners are wrong and you're right. Yea; I guess your right... Why not run a K&N on a $50,000.00 race engine so it can fail. Have you been to a tractor pull, sled race, Baja 1000, mud bogs, etc... lately? Do you know how much money is spent on R&D for these sports? It's like anything else. If you don't treat the K&N correctly; it will pass dirt.

Old 10-20-2001, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

Race engines arent built to run 200,000 miles or several hundred hours.

I dont dispute air flow potential. If they are such a good filter, why do they need a pre filter. BTW, I DO run one on my mud bogger and do run a pre filter, but there's not too much dust in a mud bog

I'll close by saying: "To each his own..."

Old 10-20-2001, 01:36 AM
Range Rover

<< Race engines arent built to run 200,000 miles or several hundred hours. >>

BINGO!!! Either are ATV's. I can show you a '96 Polaris Sport on nitrous that has used a K&amp;N open element since day one. It's on the stock bore.
Desert dust and the dunes are some of the nastiest tests for a filter. If the K&amp;N is so bad; why does this engine live and produce 90 crank h.p.? Another thing you must keep in mind is that small town dirt track racers don't have large budgets for racing. They rely on the longgevity of their motors and they must be dependable to finish or win. I can tell you this; they don't run paper elements! Baja racing is an endurance race. Sometimes the race lasts 2000 miles in the tail wind of dust from the front runners. You do realize that you can't finish or win if your motor is consistantly sucking in dirt; don't you? Please tell me; why do so many of these racers depend on K&amp;N? K&amp;N didn't become a multi-million dollar company selling rags. They sell a product that works when properly maintained. The problem lies with the &quot;mechanically challenged&quot; that don't oil the filters or clean them. If you had used your K&amp;N properly; it wouldn't have passed dirt. Especially with a pre-filter.
Again; you're right and the millions that use them are wrong. I rest my case.

Old 10-20-2001, 03:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Hmmm, Kinda want to sit back and see who wins the &quot;Socker-bopper&quot; battle. The other side wants to state that the Outerwears prevent particles from becomming lodged down in the K&amp;N filters, hence restricting flow. Some, like the one I have installed have water- repel properties, which is great for trail riding. Like Fasterthangas said, just hit the dunes sometime, and you'll see, and feel (crack of your....)how sand gets everywhere. WHEN PROPERLY MAINTAINED, which means cleaning, and proper oiling, the K&amp;N filter works great. And by the way, the Million mile warranty they offer, should take care of any engine, which can be proven to have failed due to using their filter......so much for my sitting back. If you don't like using them, don't. Everyone has their opinions, but dyno results are pretty hard to dispute.

KT......check out the December issue of ATV Sport Magazine, when it comes out.....(shameless self-promotion) These people are really great...subscribe and tell them you ride POLARIS.....money(subscriptions)talks.

Old 10-20-2001, 11:45 AM
Range Rover

Also;
The Magnuson Moss act protects the consumer against manufacturers that refuse warranty due to a bolt on product. The funny thing is; most new cars come with a copy of the K&amp;N designed filter. They have switched to guaze-like material with a great rubber seal. Also; the filters are corrugated for more surface area like a K&amp;N. Coincedence; I think not.
Look at the recommended replacement intervals of a stock automobile filter now. 15,000 miles instead of the 3000 that we got out of paper elements. Hmmmm....I should be a spokesperson for K&amp;N. LOL!

Quick Reply: Direct Hit Ignition System 4 my 325