Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 700 Fuel Leak

Old 01-31-2002, 10:17 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently took my SP700 back to the dealer for a gasoline leak. He contacted me yesterday and informed me the fuel lines had deteriorated. The reserve line more so than the primary line. He wanted to know if I was running any fuel additive and what kind of gas I use. I told him I am not running any additive and use BP high test. He therefore stated this could not be causing the problem and would contact Polaris today about a possible recall. I have seen posts regarding SP700 fuel leaks on other sites but none related to deteriorating fuel lines. They have been in regards to the fittings on the fuel tank leaking. I suggest all SP700 owners keep a close eye for this potential problem. The fuel drips directly on the pipe where it exits the head. The dealer is replacing the black rubber lines with the clear plastic lines which he says is better.

Old 01-31-2002, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

700guy,

I have some doubt that the fuel lines are deteriorated as the mechanic suggests ......... ask him to save them for you to look at. I have noticed in the past that the soft black rubber hose polaris uses for fuel line will get a little soft, and possibly crack a little around where it pushes onto fittings, however, your fuel leak is probably in the tank fittings. I'm not sure on this, but my Xplorer had a fuel leak as well when I first got it........just enough to keep the fuel fittings under the tank wet and maybe an occasional drip or two. I wasn't sure how the fittings were fastened to the tank........turned out that they were 1/8" NPT thread. All I had to do was tighten them a round or two, and it quit leaking. Haven't had a problem since. Let us know how it all turns out.

Waylan

Old 01-31-2002, 04:53 PM
Trailblazer

My Sportsman has the same problem, it does not leak much, just the brass fittings and about 3" of hose is wet. I am going to try to tighten the brass fittings, thanks for the tip.

Old 01-31-2002, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, it wasn't until I did a piston replacement that I realized that the fittings thread into the plastic. I had the gas tank off, and looked at the fittings, and noticed some threads on the brass insert(s). I unscrewed them, coated the threads with yamabond, and threaded them back in until fairly tight. What you want to do is tighten them just to the point that they will quit leaking........as overtightening them can strip out the plastic threads in the gas tank. The yamabond has worked well for 8 months or so.....no leaking at all.

Waylan