Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Brake noise question.500 Sportsman.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 11:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dcroc, find out if your dealer put on Polaris pads for a 2001 Sportsman or newer. The pads will fit fine but are made from a harder material. My 2001 Sportsman had the original or factory Polaris pads and they squeeled just like yours until I put on aftermarket pads. Just a thought.

Old 03-23-2002, 12:35 AM
Trailblazer

I don't know if they put 2001 pads on it or not, the thing even makes noise if you get hold of it and roll it back by hand, not realy a squeel but just a loud noise, it also happens when you lightly hit the brakes going forward, happens with the hand brake and the foot brake, it acts as if it is dragging all the time.

Old 03-23-2002, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry Dcroc, just read your posts, YES the dealer in Wagoner has ALOT of accessories. Thats all they sell are Polaris, so anything they have are for Polaris. I just bought my son a 2002 90 Sportsman there this week. They will almost do anything to help you. Oh sorry, they sell Stihl chainsaws also, but that is it. The owner and main mech. both race Polaris quads, so they know alot about tweaking things to get more power. Their number is 918-485-2887, they also have a 1-800 number but I dont know it.

Old 03-23-2002, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks OkieDude, I'll give them a try. I when to both of the Motorcycle Shops in Muskogee looking for Tamarack products, they didn't have so much as a brochure but they are listed on tamaracks website, I contacted Tamarack about it and he also told me about the Wagoner Shop and said they had everything in stock except the gun boot. I Still haven't figured out the brakes on the 96, may load it up and take it over to Wagoner and let them take a look. Thanks for the info.
'''

Old 03-23-2002, 10:33 PM
Trailblazer

I am having the exact same problem as you are. When i role my machine out of the garage, the back brake disc kind of like goes "urrrr", a deep squeeling noise. It also happens when i use the breaks too. Nothing ever comes from the front breaks, just the back. I just put new pads on and adjusted them as the shop manual said, and it still does it. One other note, my noise comes from the back disc, and that disc is a bit loose, cuz i think its suppose to "float" on the shaft. Is it suppose to be tight or not??? Please help!!

'96 Sportsman 500
Livin' and Lovin' it!!!

Old 03-23-2002, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Dc, they have the big tamarack's (thats where I got mine) for $169. Talk to Art (owner) or John(mech)about your brakes. I bought a 99 SP 500 from Motorsports (they are a joke) in Muskogee. Took it back a week later complaining that it was loosing power. They told me to bring it back 2 weeks later for them to look at it. I called the Wagoner dealer (Lakeside Polaris) the same day and they told me to bring it in that day. I did! Turns out the airbox intake tube was sucking against gas tank. They knew immediately what to look for. Fixed it in 30 seconds and told me to have a good day! If you talk to anyone w/ a quad in Muskogee, they will probably tell you about a bad experience with Motorsports. Do you do any trail riding?

Old 03-24-2002, 01:37 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info Okiedude, I am headed over there mon. Scrambler if i find any thing out on the brakes I'll give you a yell, agatating isn't it.
'

Old 03-24-2002, 01:40 AM
Trailblazer

Not sure if the rotor is supposed to float or be solid, I will be sure to ask when i go to the shop Mon. I will let you know, this thing has me stumped.

Old 03-24-2002, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

DC, they are closed on Mondays.

Old 03-24-2002, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the closed Mon Okiedude. I was going to load up, as far as the trail riding where do you go? About the only place around here is to go to the river (Arkansas) and do a little playing in the sand, have to be careful where you go south of Haskell, those farmers shoot back (LOL). Where do you ride?

Quick Reply: Brake noise question.500 Sportsman.