ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   Brakes & tie-rod ends on Sportsman 500 (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/6271-brakes-tie-rod-ends-sportsman-500-a.html)

kcender 02-29-2000 12:05 AM

I have a sp500 and after only 700 miles I have to replace the brakes (front and rear). The dealer says Polaris Makes a heavy duty pad but its the same price as the stock pads. Anyone know of a better aftermarket pad or has used the Polaris heavy Duty pads with any better luck? Also i checked the tierod ends and they are shot. also Would like to know if anyone else has had this same problem with the tierod ends. dealer says all they have is the stock ones and i don't want to pay $40. just to have to replace them in 6 months. Anyone Know if the ones off another (such as honda) that would fit?

Bill.Ciliberti 02-29-2000 04:57 AM

There are plenty aftermarket places to buy aftermarket brakes for the Sportsman.Click on one of the aftermarket companies listed in the ATV Connection site.Tie rods?First thing to do is call Polaris customer service and inform them of your utter dis-appointment, that you know Polaris quads have a tie rod problem from seeing posts in the ATV forum.Polaris has known about this problem for a very long time and yet refuses to make a recall on them.Not real good PR on the side of Polaris.Dennis Kirk is suppose to have HD tie rods for Polaris quads,call for a free catalog at 1800-328-9280.Good Luck,====BILL

Thor 02-29-2000 02:58 PM

The tie rod ends are not as tight as on the Honda models. This drives some of the Polaris faithful crazy everytime they turn the handlebar with a frenzy approaching monomania. But... if you can live with it, it won't hurt anything. With the front end lined up properly it will track straight. I guess I have learned to live with it.
"...there's flaws in all of them, that's why on a scale of 1 to ten their ain't no ten."

Bill.Ciliberti 02-29-2000 07:03 PM

Thor,not intending in any way to be disrespectful to you,but there certainly is a danger of losing steering control if one of these outter tie rod ends come out of their sockets.I dont recomend riding to long on defective tie rods.=====BILL

griz 02-29-2000 08:26 PM

Polaris has replaced the part# for the tie rod ends with a new style tie-rod. Much heavier and less likely to completly fail (come off). The new tie-rods are not the ball and socket type, they look like the inner tie-rod ends. I have 1500 miles on my sp500 and have had no problem with the inner tie-rods.

The tie rod will rub the tire on the right side if you have stock rims and 9.5" wide tires, looking for a fix for the rubbing if anyone has a suggestion please let me know.

Pfelect 02-29-2000 09:12 PM

I believe EBC is supposed to be the best aftermarket brake pad available. My friend has used them on his SP500 with good results. I had to replace my front pads after just over 300 miles! I had to go with Polaris at the time but I plan on buying EBC in the future.

The tie rod ends in DK catalog are from Erlandson and have grease fitting in them. Just looking at the picture they dont appear to be any heavier than stock, just the grease fitting only difference. Maybe someone will reply that has used these, I'd like to know if they really are better.

atving 02-29-2000 09:26 PM

Was thinking about a new sportsman but now I have read about the brakes and tie rod ends I am not sure does anybody have a sure cure to this problem definetly going to take a copy of this web page to the dealer when I go to look or buy.

kcender 02-29-2000 10:13 PM

I called The dealer today and asked about aftermarket tie rod ends with a grease fitting. He told me they make ones for some polaris models but not for a 99' sportsman. I'll have to check the Dk catalog and see if the ones from Erlandson will work.
That is a very good point you have made Bill. Would not want to be climbing a steep rocky hill in mountains and have my tires go in opisite directions!
I also have found they changed the rear breaks on sportsman between 98' & 99' the dif. is 98 and earlier used two pins to hold them in now they only have one pin. Its also about $20 more for the newer ones!

To the guy worried about buying a polaris. All machines have there problems there is no perfect machine. But there is also nothing like the ride on a polaris 4 wheeler. These problems are the only ones I have had. After 700 miles of abusive mountain riding I am very pleased with the performace of the sportsman.

mudmachine 03-01-2000 12:07 AM

On the brakes... Either go with the Polaris SEVERE DUTY or EBC SEVERE DUTY pads... all the others are for old guys who ride to and from their mailboxes everyday....
The severe duty series may have a little squeal to them when dry.. but as soon as you go in the mud.. you WILL appreciate them..

As for outer tie rod ends.. There has been an ongoing discussion about the use of a HEIM JOINT as a replacement...
I think the idea will work... Summit Racing Equipment sells all different types of sealed rod ends of various sizes and thread configurations... I am waiting on my Magnum rod ends to get sloppy so I can replace them...
As I said before.. if the parts can plant 1000HP Drag cars to the track... SURELY they can get the front end of a Polaris to steer right...

Jaime 03-01-2000 02:42 AM

Hey guys i payed 9 dollars and change for my greesable tie rods from polaris it was for a 98 500 sp the greasable ones don,t last any longer then the non greasable ones there is aftermarket ones avalible through bell i belive your dealer should be able to order them for you