Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Independant suspension reliability and durability!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys, just wondering since the SP 500 came out back in 96, There must be people who know if it is durable. Why I would like to know is i'm thinking of getting the AC 500i, and want to make sure it is really tough. I have a friend with a 97 500 Explorer that has not had any problems with his rear end. He only has problems keeping belts on it.
Is the Independant just a durable as a solid axle, that is the main question as people seem to say a solid axle is allot stronger but i've yet to hear of any Independants have to do any repairs.
I'm caught between the AC 500 i manual and the Traxter XT, want something with gears that is tough and reliable like the old Honda's and these are the 2 main machines. I'm getting rid of my 2000 Grizz as it is great as I have 4800 km's and nothing has went wrong but I miss changing gears and want something better on fuel. These big bores are great but when you have a 40mm carb and up they suck fuel like pigs.

Can anyone help on this issue, need real info.

Old 05-30-2002, 12:44 PM
KEP
Trailblazer

ACs are tough machines and will last a long time, but they lack a little in the "fun" factor. They are kind of like tractors - tough, dependable machines and great for work but not so much for play. But if you want a 4x4 machine with at least 500 cc and you gotta have manual gears, an Arctic Cat is your only option. As far as independent suspension goes, it is not as tough as a straight axle and has more moving parts to go bad, primarily CV joint boots. If they get torn and dirt and water get in it will destroy the joint and that gets expensive. BUT - it rides better and the huge advantage is in ground clearance. If you are bumping over rocks and hard stuff you can always ride a wheel up on one and get over, but if you start mud boggin' the extra clearance of an independent rear will really make your day. Mine is a straight axle and my buddy's 500 Sportsman is an independent and I can't even think about going in the holes that his plows right through. He's only been stuck once and believe me, we've given it plenty of opportunities to try. Since you are from Quebec, I'll bet snow presents similar situations and you'll be glad you got an independent rear. Just do the preventive maintenance. Fortunately, on the ACs those boots are easy to keep an eye on.

The Traxter is a good machine and I am glad Bombardier is getting into the quad business, but that step through design is just too funny looking. Its like going on a date with the ugliest girl in school - she is a wonderful person, great personality, dependable, fun and you'll have a good time - but your friends are all gonna laugh at you. But then, maybe you are above all that and like to make up your own mind about that kind of thing. I'm sure Bombardier and that ugly girl will appreciate your thinking outside the box!

Before you throw down your money on that AC, ride it. I like manual gears too, but that heal/toe shifting, because of the floorboards, was something I couldn't warm up to.

Old 05-30-2002, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

I can only comment on the Polaris design, but the group I ride in has 6 Sportman 500s and a Sportsman 700. The older ones are completely abused, raced, and used like tractors. None of them has ever had a single problem with the independant suspension. Its true that there are more thing that could posibly go wrong with them, but it never seams to happen. Polaris realy got that one right. I would guess the onther manufacturers would have similar dependability. The 500's are excellent on gas, as good as it gets, all day wide open rideing and still gas to get ya home, but the 700 is big thirsty pig.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 05-30-2002, 05:25 PM
Trailblazer

Yam8,
One you forgot about was the Suzuki Quadrunner 500....its a manual with the 2wd/4wd option and provides a good punch.....no heel toe shifter either...suspension is a little stiff but I find mine very reliable and at 600lbs a little lighter than the AC and Polaris bikes... just a consideration....

Slugger55