Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help...Trail Tech/Panoram computer. Wheel size input?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 05:36 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx !!!

Yes it is on the front wheel, and the tires are on the ground [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

And the gap looks fine, I mounted the sensor to the top of the right ball joint, and epoxied a magnet to the inside of the right front wheel.

It is so weird that when I kept testing the distance accuracy, I got it right on with a 995 WS setting, BUT the mph goes nuts after 50mph or so????

If I use a highe value like the ones mentioned (1600's) the mph is way too high, like 72mph in 3rd gear [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I know this thing is not that fast [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

HELP [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Thanx,
LOBE
~~~~~

Old 07-06-2002, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

The ones from walmart are for bicycles, I believe. That may be why the speed won't read right over 50. It isn't made to go that fast.

I may be wrong....

Old 07-07-2002, 01:21 AM
Range Rover

eRaptoid...

Thats what I was thinking too, BUT the paperwork does say it's range is up to 120mph????

Any Ideas???

Thanx,
LOBE
~~~~

Old 07-08-2002, 12:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I've had mine over 70, and it registers great every time. Rock solid. Did you check their website, they have quite a few pics of the installations....

Ken

Old 07-08-2002, 01:47 PM
Trailblazer

The wal mart computer wont work on your quad. The computer is different and the sensor is different. The slower processor in the wal mart computer will not give accurate speed readings (unless you mount it on your bicycle).

Old 07-09-2002, 10:02 AM
Range Rover

Well I figured it out finally [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I was thinking the other night, and decided to try rotating the sensor on the ball joint. It was mounted so it was going longways parallel with the tire, so I rotated it 90* and now it seems to work fine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The sensor must have two picups in it, and the way I had it the magnet was tripping both of them, and doubling my speed and distance mesurements.

Well I am glad that is fixed [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
True the Walmart one does have a slight delay in speed reading, but so far it does seem to be accurate. I will test it more this week.
Thanx for all the input !!!

LOBE
~~~~

Old 07-09-2002, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

For any of you who may have doubts or are troubled by your mileage outcome and speed reliability, here are some tips to get you on the right track....

1. Set your tire air pressure to your desired number of pounds.

2. On a level surface (concete or asphalt), mark the sidewall at its lowest point with chalk, pensil, crayon (whatever) and roll the quad till the tire makes a full revolution. Be presice! Mark the ground at this point.

3. Measure, in inches, the distance between the two marks on the ground. Be sure to use a tape measure, not a ruler...this must be accurate. Round off the remainder (fraction) into 100ths (divide the denominator into the top number....62 and 5/8ths would equal 62.625" in 100ths). Example...5 devided by 8 equals .625

4. Convert your measurement into millimeters to enter into the Trail Tech by using a conversion chart like http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm

5. Enter millimeters as instructed in your directions and ride!

This method is drop dead accurate! I used a 2 mile length of highway with starting and stopping points which were figured out by testing two separate cars. Then, the same distance was ran with the quad. Results were to the nearest Foot! The Trail Tech does exactly what it says it does.

Old 07-09-2002, 04:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Not to be too smart here, but mileage markers on the highway, some duct tape and a cheap GPS on the bars. Maybe I just got lucky, but just doin' the math with the calculator, and checking it with the GPS was nuts on. Do it simple first, then bang your head and break out the tools. Not gettin' on you Extreme, just tryin' to keep it simple.

Ken

Old 07-09-2002, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

Simple for someone who owns a gps. My method works for those who don't. Plus, all tires are different in circumference...whether new, worn, or another brand. We do this for several types of machines. It works[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]