Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

CAN'T FIND THE POWER

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAD RCR PORT MY QUAD ABOUT A MONTH AGO. BLEW OUT CRANK SEAL AFTER ABOUT 20 MINUTES RIDING. GOT SEAL FIXED BUT QUAD FELLS LIKE IT IS JETTED TO HIGH BUT THE SPARK PLUG IS PAPER BAG BROWN. IT WILL NOT EVEN OUT RUN A 250EX. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME HELP? IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS

00SCRAM2X4
RCR TRAIL PORT WITH HEAD WORK
39MM PWK
WEISCO .40 OVER
K&N W/OUTERWARE
HPD PIPE AND MUFFLER
RAD VALVE
OIL BLOCK OFF
EPI CLUTCH KIT ORANGE(GOT FRO RICK)&PURPLE SPRING

Old 06-28-2002, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

atc86r,

When you replaced the crank seals, did you hone the cylinder and put new rings on it, or did you just put it back together? If you did the latter, then you will need to tear it down and hone the cylinder to break the glaze and put new ring on the piston. Check the compression first.

Old 06-28-2002, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

friend was on my computer. he just recieved cylinder from rcr. must've been to much compression because his crank seal went right away. he took whole machine to local polaris dealer. they did crank seal told him cdi was bad and stator. $1600. his bill is getting big because he spent alot at rcr. now it just doesn't run right. i checked the brakes. i thought they were locking up or something. he has new carb and had to change throttle cable. could it be that? plug looks good. i laugh and tell him rcr's port job is the problem.

Old 06-29-2002, 09:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would definitely look to something else before blaming the portwork. Someone would really have to botch up portwork pretty bad to completely mess up a cylinder, and Rick Ritter has done way too many of these to blame. There have been other mods done to the bike, and I would look elsewhere for the problem. People like to always blame their problem on something they know nothing about.Porting just maximizes effeciency and gives more of what you already have. That bike could run really bad rich and still smoke a 250ex.Also if the bikeis that new of a model and was running, sounds like he got burnt at the dealereship. Bubba

Old 06-29-2002, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

The compression on the engine does not really have an effect on crank seal life . If we had top much compression we would have other problems . The likelyhood of a head coming out of my shop that was machined out of spec is very unlikely . (I haven't seen one yet ) I will accept full responcibility for a goofed up port job on a 400 as well , but ,,, um ,,, that's not the problem either .

I did recieve an E-mail from the owner of this machine regarding this this quad , I advised him to call me on the phone . Anyone who has ever had technical or tuning trouble with products I sell knows I will assist as much as possible . Jeff needs to call me , seriously .

I have a few questions :

1. Did this machine munch a stock piston ?

If so , maybe we have aluminum in the bottom munching seals , or worse . (cracked cases )

2. Do you find it odd that the stator and CDI are both bad ?

Most spark troubles on a 400 sport engine can be fixed with a $43 stator coil , it is usually the culpret.

This is off the wall but , check out the exhaust pipe , when quads are apart for a while , mice find them a great place to raise a family .

Call me , I will help sort this out .

Rick

Old 06-29-2002, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

i'm just messing with jeff. we both know rick has great quality work. i suggested he send whole engine to rick but jeff didnt want to ship it. trying to save a buck cost him. he also got a new coil from dealership. it seems weird that we cant track down problem. i'll give it a compression test to see what its at. i suggested the mouse thing but jeff thinks im joking now that rick says it maybe he'll pull the exhuast off. the best way i can describe the way it runs is that it seems like hes riding the brakes. the engine has a lugging sound not the ping ping high rev sound. i dont think its getting high rpms. wil.

Old 06-29-2002, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

1. i guess i didn't answer you rick. no he didn't munch stock piston. cylinder looked great he just wanted to go with a new piston because its 2 stroke. his bore job was originally done in michigan and it seized right away. this is where the shavings probably came from. after that experience he sent cylinder to you. 2. definetaly thought it was weird that all the electronics were bad. ripoff i guess. leaders marine in kalamazoo, mi. they deserve the bad reputation they have. once again rick i was just messing with buddy. i know your work is great i have race your stuff at silver lake.

Old 06-29-2002, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

No offence taken .

Jeff and I just got off the phone , we are going to check a few things out . I am thinking secondary clutch at this point .

Old 06-30-2002, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

seems to run better. has more potential have to figure how to get it. doesnt really seem as crisp as it should be nor does it have real good topend. what about changing spring position?

Old 08-20-2002, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

update on scrambler 400. with k&n,the clutch mods,carb,hpd pipe and rcr porting it outruns raptor with exhuast,jet and k@n by 2 lenghts. still get blown away by my atc.

Quick Reply: CAN'T FIND THE POWER