Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Belt slips when hot!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 10:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 2000 trailblazer with an epi red spring /same as polaris white!Pulls wheels up without pulling up on bars.After about 30 min of hard riding,the belt slips and wont pull wheels up anymore cuz its to hot. Any suggestions?

Old 08-22-2002, 01:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of starters. First, using brake-cleaner, alcohol (non-residual cleaner)wipe the sheaves of your clutches. You can wipe the sides (part that contacts clutches) with alcohol also. This makes sure they're clean. You can rest a straight edge on top of the belt (while installed on clutches) and push down on the center of the belt, you should have between 1 1/8"- 1 1/4" deflection. If it's greater than that, you need to remove shims from between your secondary clutch halves. If it's less than that, you need to thicken the shim, or add more shims between the halves. If you haven't had your secondary apart before, have someone who has, or have a tech at your dealer....this could literaly save you a headache.

Ken

Old 08-22-2002, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like it is just heating up from repeated abuse. If you go ride at a brisk pace and then try, what does it do?

I'd talk to EPI about a full kit. A little secondary work will give more side pressure and less slippage/heat...

Old 08-22-2002, 05:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider

One other note, make sure you leave at least one shim between the secondary halves. They come in different thicknesses.

Ken

Old 08-22-2002, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

if the clutch are slipping,it all about the secondary,check belt deflection,remove the whole clutch and try stiffer spring after clean it up well,check buttons shape also,don't want to point anything but maybe they're some repeated abuse on the clutchs after a while,that seem your belt slipping problems.

Old 08-22-2002, 07:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ok!The bike is not beat at all cuz i dont have extra money to fix it all the time with a family and all.It is very well taken care of.I do lots of trail riding and i like to do wheelies and Small jumps.What if i change the weights to heavier ones?Could it be that the sprocket is to big and its puting to much pull on the clutch? I am 6'2 225lbs. Lots of weight.Any input would be helpfull.And Modquad i will try the spacer idea.thanks!

Old 08-23-2002, 07:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Guess not many people have this problem or no one knows what to do!I have always ridden manual bikes and this was the first auto.I Really like it on the trails but i think im gonna switch back.Never had a problem with manual transmissions.

Old 08-23-2002, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

I don't beleave it has anything to do with your clutch
set-up or any kind of change that you will do in the
future. I think its just a common problem that occurs
in the Polaris PVT. I have two TB's. One is a 99 and
the other is a 00. The 99 has a full race mod engine
and the 00 is still stock. My brother has a 99 400 Sport
with alot of engine mods done to it also. The both of
us have noticed this lose of engine performance in both
his and both of my quads. Not that his or my 99 will not
wheelie after they are ridden hard. There is just a loss
of some power. My brother and I are playing with an idea
of adding a small fan that will blow additional air into
the PVT intake. We have found that just the PVT cover can
get as hot as 110 degrees. With a very small fan installed.
The kind used to cool computers. We were able to lower the
heat in the PVT by 8 degrees. We are in the process of testing a
larger fan version going from a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch to a 3 x 3
inch fan. I think that with enough additional air being forced
into the PVT that some if not all the power that was lost will
be restored.

Up dates to follow!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2002, 10:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have also thaught about the fan idea.fan sucks in cool air, but!!!It also sucks in dirt.Dirt in clutch not good.Most dirt would probably be blown out the exhaust tube from cover but not all.There has to be a simple fix.Seems to be worse with all the mods.More power,more heat,more slipage.

Old 08-23-2002, 11:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Have been working off and on with one for a few months. You need to filter the air like 2manytoys said. A vibration mounting system is also beneficial to longer fan life. I'm trying to fab a housing with an integral vibration mounting system. One thing also, is switch to the newer 500 Scrambler cover, it has a larger outlet...hence more airflow.

Ken

Quick Reply: Belt slips when hot!!