Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Xplorer 400 , what clutch spring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 01:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I just purchased a new 2002 Xplorer and keep reading all the power advantages of installing a different primary clutch spring. I've looked through the old posts but see alot of different opinions. How do I go about selecting the "right" spring for my riding conditions? Can someone break it down for me? Thanks in advance! BTW, the only mods I have done so far are the airbox and added a K&N filter, if that matters.

Old 09-22-2002, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

make you a favor and get yourself a whole clutch kit to yours riding and conditions from any good aftermarkets,then you'll get the whole performances gains without wasting time on dialed-in,fine tune the clutchs,worth the money in long term for sure...

Old 09-22-2002, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

The two main choices are the white or green springs

White spring - noticeable increase in initial take-off, stronger acceleration up to 40 or so, and no loss of top speed. There is an increase in engagement RPM, but is still easy to control.

Green - VERY noticeable increase in initial take-off. Stronger acceleration up to 35 or so, and a slight loss of top speed. Noticeable increase in engagement RPM, possibly harder to control in situations requiring delicate clutch engagement.

I tried both, and went with the white. Green wheelied WAY too easy for my tastes. 3/4 throttle in High range would have the front end looking at the sky if there was enough traction.

I agree, a clutch kit will do a better job, but for $15 the spring is a cheap way to experiment.

Farmr

Old 09-22-2002, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll go with the white spring for now because of costs. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 10-02-2002, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, here's the update after spring arrival and installation... I ordered a white primary spring from EPI. I recieved it a few days ago and found that my stock spring is blue in color and is about 1-2" shorter than the aftermarket EPI white spring. I installed it anyways by compressing the spring and tested it out. The clutch wouldn't engage until about 1/2-3/4 throttle, impossible to control, and I had no top end at all. Needless to say, I reinstalled my OEM spring. I'm guessing I got the wrong spring or the '02 model Xplorers are different. Any suggestions out there? Thx...

Old 10-02-2002, 08:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Explorer, when farmr was talking about the springs, he was using the OEM polaris color white. It is the next step up from the blue/green. In EPI, the white is a hot trail mod to mild race mod spring. You probably ordered a PS-2. You should have went with a PATV1 (red) in EPI. I am sorry, but that one will definitely not work for you. By the way, I have a barely used white spring out of my wife's 2001 Scrambler if you would like to trade. Just let me know. Hopefully this will help open everyone's eyes and this not happen again.Bubba

Old 10-02-2002, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bubba, thanks for the clarification, it was a PS-2. About trading, sounds like a deal! How do you want to go about it?

Old 10-02-2002, 08:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Xplorer, just send me your address though a private e-mail and I'll mail it ou to you. When you get it, I'll put a return address in the package, just send me yours back. I'm not hard to deal with. Let me know,Bubba

Old 10-03-2002, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I used the white Polaris spring. I knew that different spring makers used different color codes, but forgot to mention it.
Sorry about that.

Farmr

Old 10-03-2002, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

No problem farmer... I should have asked more ?'s. I'm going to swap springs with bubba so it's no big deal.

Quick Reply: Xplorer 400 , what clutch spring?